to hold accountable or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Aug 1, 2008.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

One of my employees has broke or damaged 2-3 pieces of equipment this year (so far) he is a great kid who picked things up very quickly but is rather hard on some of the equipment. First he ripped a recoil out of a 21" mower, second he ripped a recoil out of a backpack blower that just had a new recoil installed last fall and today he called to tell me he ran the Z turn into the side of the trailer coming down a hill. Sure enough there is a 6-8" long tare in the side of it and he also bent up some of the frame under the aluminum sheeting. Again he is a good kid and does decent work BUT recently I've had to tell him a few times to slow down so my guess is that he wasnt "creeping down the hill"

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

the recoils are easy fixes so i wouldnt dock his pay for those. but messing mower up will probably cost some change so i'd dock his pay a percentage until its paid off or atleast hold him partially responsible. goodluck.

3. nobagger

from Pa

Well I have yet to see the mower. But every one knows these enclosed trailers are built with the lightest materials known to man except the frames. Hopefully there is no damage, he said there wasnt but we'll see when they get back!

4. nobagger

from Pa

No other opinions...? thats rare!

5. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Yer, kick his arse and put it down to impetuous youth (his, not yours) :)

atb Phil

6. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

if it is the same breakage then something should be done may bee make him pay foe the repair but diff thind maybee he is not that good. however 2 things talk to him tell him faster is not always better, machines are expensive be carefull and so on in your case just talk to him and say next starter is on you and the machine be easy on her and take your time

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm about about accountability when:

1. It's done on purpose or through neglect, rushing counts although in a
    worker's mind they're as likely thinking they're being productive.

2. Have been told about the situation and suggestions for change have been made.

Maybe one way to say it is look, by you rushing it costs me more money than extra you're bringing in.
    I don't want to see no more accidents, now SLOW it DOWN.

8. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

take it out of his pay and he will learn quick

9. capetrees

capetrees LawnSite Member
    from ma

If he's your employee, you have to eat the costs, bottom line. You can repremand him and give him the "junk jobs" but as far as docking his pay, you're legally not allowed to. If he were a private self employed contractor who was using your tools on a job, then you could dock his pay if you were paying his wages. Rack it up to live and learn for both of you. I used to smash all kinds of tools for a guy when I first started. 20 years later, he can't do without me. Literally. He's layed up right now in the hospital and I'm running his biz till he's back. Don't lose a good thing over a few fixable tools and parts. You can replace the tools and parts but probably not him.

10. Backhoe Man

Backhoe Man LawnSite Member

This is a joke ? right? No you cannot take it out of his pay unless you can show he did it intentional. Welcome to have your own business. Brian///////