To incorporate or stay sole-proprietorship?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MY Florida, Dec 20, 2005.

1. MY Florida

MY Florida LawnSite Member

I have bid on a few commercial jobs and the owners are asking for proof of workers comp or proof of exemption. I do not carry workers comp insurance as I work solo or with my son. Here in Florida we are not requiered to carry it unless we have 4 employees, but the state will not provide proof of exemption unless the business is incorporated. Looks like I need to get incorporated. It is not a real big deal to do so, just wonder what you guys think and if you have any advice on the matter.
    thanks,
    trey

2. bobslawncare

bobslawncare LawnSite Member

If you are a partnership and both carry a general liability policy, doesn't that cover what they need. I would check with your insurance company before incorporaing.

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

The reason many commerical jobs require workmens comp is so that you won't be looking to sue them if someone gets hurt. A simple indemnity clause in your contract, where you agree to indenify (hold harmless) the business should be sufficient unless they're real sticklers. I would think long and hard before I incorporated a small business. I looked into it and an LLC was the way to go for me.