Lawn Care Forum banner

$ to keep trucks on the road

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  rvon99 
#1 ·
Wasnt sure how to title this. How much money have you guys put into your trucks to keep them on the road afert hey are out of warranty? Iwas going thru the files on 2 of our 02 7.3 trucks and realized we have put over 35% of the new cost into these 2 trucks to keep them on the road. Now we are talking repairs not tires or fluid changes or paint and body. I will be the first to say that we are not easy on our trucks but these numbers seem high to me. The 02 f350 pick up has had over 13k put into it out of the warranty period.And the first 100k it was my personal truck and it now has 181k on it .What are you guys seeing on your trucks and would like to hear other brands too.

#2 ·
Year by year the numbers got worse and worse on our aging fleet. It's why I added 2 new trucks over the last 2 years. The warranty's haven't saved me anything on the new trucks because nothing breaks and thats what I love about them.

The older trucks I wouldn't do % math as to many variables and base trucks cost a lot less than loaded trucks. My 2 new trucks cost me $60,000 and $65,000 each (we are talking fully loaded ram 4500s). My used trucks cost me $8,000 89 gmc 3500 dump purchased 2003, $10,000 99 ram 1500 quad short bed purchased 2003, $14,000 98 ram quad cap long bed purchased 2002, and $20,000 99 ram 3500 quad cab dump purchased 2005. I think its safe to say repairs and tires they average about 1 dollar per mile driven on bad years and closer to 50 cents per mile overall. All 4 of them cost me around 20k each since iv owned them. Transmissions can be upwards of $3000. Rear ends used your still looking at $1200 to $1500. Transfer case on the 4wd 99 ram 3500 that was rude came in just over $4000. Fuel injector pump for diesels close to $3000 a pop. My 89 gmc costs me the least at around $2000 a year on average but we also only drive it about 2000 miles. I don't think the issue is so much warranty expiring to ages but the miles on the trucks when you got em. I found around 80000 miles the trucks show their age and begin to break more frequently around 100000 miles things get bad and around 125000 miles its just plain ugly. It was when my average truck had 140000 miles that I snapped and figured id be better off with payments. And it is nice not being so close with my mechanic.

#3 ·
I run 3 old trucks. Not even considered late model at this point. My Ford '94 F350 now has 280,000 miles. I picked it up 7 years ago and haven't put $6000 into it including tires. It is still presentable and gets worked hard with heavy towing. My '79 Chevy C65 I picked up for $4000, I've put about 3000 into it in 5 years. Will be needing a set of tires so some money will be going into it this year. Least presentable of the trucks is my little mazda B2600. Got it for $600 and had to do some work to get it going. now total I have put $1300 into it and have taken it on road trips over 500 miles. I can't justify a new truck at this point. I think you have to understand what repairs are being needed. Some repairs are needed every so many miles whether a truck is new or old. The more miles the more replacement parts will be needed. The good side is after the repairs are done at least that part of the truck is new again and shouldn't be a problem for a while. You repair costs seem very high.

#4 ·
ford circled the problem :laugh:

It depends I had a water pump go down at 79k $300 dollars $79 in front brake pads 2 two sets of tires in 105k of multi driving $1300 est will need at some point to replace a rear axle bearing seal .

#5 ·
You didn't say what chassis the other motors was in but I've found the 350 450 and 550 trucks get treated and worked like real medium duty trucks when they really arent. My international needed literally nothing in 2 years. They are just built different.

Unless of course you're talking strictly about motor work. You didn't say what types of repairs.
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
350 is a crew cab Lariet pick up and the other is a 550 chassis that now only has 86k on it. Both have had high pressure oil pumps and trans . 350 has had both front axles , hubs ,hyro booster master cylinder, tons of calipers and small stuff. 550 has had several fuel tanks , fuel pumps, trans, front end bushings, oil pumps and this is after ford put over 8 k in new parts on it then the motor went out just before it went out of warranty.

#7 ·
My chevrolet 6.0 gassers just keep on tickin. General maintanance thats it. I havent even had a tranny rebuilt in one of them in 300,000 miles logged between them.

I have a 97 powerstroke diesel with 138K miles on it and that hunk of garbage plays ring around the rosie with all the mechanics around here. It keeps them all fed. someone said it above, they circled the problem.... I know there not all this way, but I wont own another one I can tell ya that.

#8 ·
My chevrolet 6.0 gassers just keep on tickin. General maintanance thats it. I havent even had a tranny rebuilt in one of them in 300,000 miles logged between them.

I have a 97 powerstroke diesel with 138K miles on it and that hunk of garbage plays ring around the rosie with all the mechanics around here. It keeps them all fed. someone said it above, they circled the problem.... I know there not all this way, but I wont own another one I can tell ya that.
Funny, most of my stuff has the old 5.7, I can get a complete "rebuilt" engine for less than 1800$ and rebuilt transmission are less than 2000$, so far never need any.

I did spent 700$ on my box truck last month, Ive had it 5 years and thats the first time Ive done much to it, new radiator, exhaust manifold, water pump,battery,transmission flush, and a trip to the muffler shop to get the exhaust realigned. Hop Im good for another year.

#10 ·
Funny, most of my stuff has the old 5.7, I can get a complete "rebuilt" engine for less than 1800$ and rebuilt transmission are less than 2000$, so far never need any.

I did spent 700$ on my box truck last month, Ive had it 5 years and thats the first time Ive done much to it, new radiator, exhaust manifold, water pump,battery,transmission flush, and a trip to the muffler shop to get the exhaust realigned. Hop Im good for another year.
Thats kinda what im figuring out is that its just hard to beat a gas chevrolet truck........ Especially the old vortec 350.

I sold a 98 chevrolet z71 1500 that I bought with 100K miles on it and had 185K on it when it got totalled........... The only thing I did in 85K miles was a fuel pump and I did have to do breaks pretty often from pulling an enclosed with 2 ztrs, and a walke behind. That motor was awesome!!! Not the most powerful but man it just ran good. I take that back i did a tune up to the truck when I bought it at 100K on it. wish the kid wouldnt have went left of center!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bas turd!!
With the money Ive put in the powerstroke I could have bought 2 of those chevrolets....... Lesson learned.

#11 ·
Thats kinda what im figuring out is that its just hard to beat a gas chevrolet truck........ Especially the old vortec 350.

I sold a 98 chevrolet z71 1500 that I bought with 100K miles on it and had 185K on it when it got totalled........... The only thing I did in 85K miles was a fuel pump and I did have to do breaks pretty often from pulling an enclosed with 2 ztrs, and a walke behind. That motor was awesome!!! Not the most powerful but man it just ran good. I take that back i did a tune up to the truck when I bought it at 100K on it. wish the kid wouldnt have went left of center!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bas turd!!
With the money Ive put in the powerstroke I could have bought 2 of those chevrolets....... Lesson learned.
Well I guess Im a fan.

2000 box truck 5.7 I guess its a vortex.

1990 cadi 5.7 throttle body with 4 injectors.

1990 corvette TPI

1988 silverado 5.7 throttle body 2 injectors.

#12 ·
This is going to vary wildly for everyone I think. Depends on what size truck, how hard you work it, mileage, etc. For me, my little 2001 6 banger F-150 has been super reliable. I bought it in 2003 with 15K on it and now I'm over 191K. Hasn't nickeled and dimed me much, though I think it may get there soon. I did replace the tranny at 150K, pretty recently replaced rotors all around, a fuel pump, starter solenoid, ball joints, and a heater core. Other than that, same stuff you'll have to do to any truck; tires, brake pads and fluids. Not too bad for 10 years and almost 200K miles.

Now I know that my 4.2 half-ton wouldn't cut it for a lot of you, but for me, my sleepy little truck has paid for itself 100 times over. I'd like to get something newer, but prices just seem too high and I'm only working part time these days. Hope you all have a great 2013!
Posted via Mobile Device

#13 ·
A hundred or so in new inner door handles on two of my old body style 99 1 ton Chevy trucks. Both have 81,000 hard miles towing 8-10k. Both have 5.7 vortec engines. New water pumps, a new radiator on one, new batteries from time to time. Original brakes on both. They've had oil changes, air filters, and gas put into them. They make money, period. My 6.0 Chevy trucks haven't had any problems at all. One has 35000 hard miles and the other is brand new. Sold my older vehicles and unloaded the one dodge and ford just before problems started. The older vehicles I have sold were Chevy trucks, I drive a Chevy and can't complain.
Posted via Mobile Device

#14 ·
I dont want to get into a battle but what your truck costs you comes down to maintenance. Some guys or their employees abuse their truck and maintain as if their just going to the grocery store for milk. Others are over the top and it shows.
In our line of work unless you truly have a medium duty truck i would consider it abuse. But thats me.
Yeah 350's 3500's are rated for such and such but if you truly think about the weight and stopping and going the service industry is tough on trucks. I

#15 ·
I dont want to get into a battle but what your truck costs you comes down to maintenance. Some guys or their employees abuse their truck and maintain as if their just going to the grocery store for milk. Others are over the top and it shows.
In our line of work unless you truly have a medium duty truck i would consider it abuse. But thats me.
Yeah 350's 3500's are rated for such and such but if you truly think about the weight and stopping and going the service industry is tough on trucks. I
I totally agree with your summary of maintenance. That is a priority with us. I also agree that any truck loaded to the hilt in this line of work is getting abused. I would consider that the case as well. My trucks are crew driven and I know they unnecessarily lay into them and do things I'd never do with my personal vehicle. Maybe we've been lucky but standard maintenance has kept us on the road. But these definitely aren't show vehicles and though the power trains are solid, you can tell if you look at the vehicle that it is well used by the interior condition, exterior, etc. Sure they are only 350 3500s but we have had great luck with them, very little downtime, and in response to the original thread, low costs to keep them on the road. The. 6.0 gas engines in my Isuzu NPR HD trucks are holding up very well as well and those are loaded to max gvwr moving materials most days. I hope they last as well as the 350s

Others have good luck with ford and others with dodge. I think if you can find a winning strategy, stick to it. I'm just sharing my experience.
Posted via Mobile Device

#16 ·
I put over $12000 in my 01 F250 7.3 in 2012. It has 22500 miles on it crew cab lariet. All new brakes (rotors and pads), both front unit bearings, tierod, draglink, sway bar links, ball joints, new diff seals, vaccum seals, u joints front and rear and axle, carrier bearing, rear ring and pinion, tires, power steering pump, icp sensor, glow plug relay, reman engine at 218000 miles with new injectors, glow plugs, and turbo.
My 06 F350 has had $6K spent on it in 2012 also. Heard gaskets, turbo, ARP head studs, injectors, oil cooler. I am probably forgetting alot of parts on both of these trucks. They both work hard every day and pull way to much. The dually grosses out about 33000lbs two or three times a week and the 250 has pulled the same load for about 10000 miles. Maybe I need a bigger truck or just new trucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.