To late for Winterizer Apps in the Mid South?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by thrasher428, Nov 6, 2007.

1. thrasher428

thrasher428 LawnSite Member

Hey guys I live in middle Tn with a few customers wanting their yard winterized. Just wondering if it was to late. And if not, what would be a good application to put on?
  2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure if lawns ever truly go dormant in Tennessee Thrasher, but if they do, I'd recommend you wait until all of the top-growth in your customer's lawns ceases and then go out to put down your Winterizer apps. That way, you'll be feeding the roots of your lawns and not encouraging excessive top growth. If you do encourage a flush of growth from your lawns before they go into the Winter, you might incur problems with snow mold. I'm sure you know this, but just in case you don't, sending lawns into Winter weather with blades of grass that are on the long side encourages snow mold.

The window I look for when doing my Winterizer apps opens when my lawns stop all top growth as I told you, but it closes when my lawns lose their color. Once the lawns have lost their color, that tells you that they've gone dormant. As long as your lawns still have color, that tells you that their root systems are still active. All Winter long, you'll still have SOME root activity, but that activity will be greatly diminished from when the lawns still have color Buddy. :waving:
  3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ditto with Vic. Very good advice. When I worked in Dallas for ChemLawn, we helped out the Memphis branch ---- they applied winterizer app's through most of December. Rule of thumb......when trees are seriously dropping leaves, it's "naturally" time to begin your winterizizer app.

So you are certainly not too late whatsoever, but you'll have to contend with leaf cover on some lawns.

46-0-0 is good, but I prefer LESCO's 34-3-11 slow release at four pounds per 1000. Good luck, and thanks Vic for your expertise.
  4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Hey Thrasher: I'm in east TN. We're just getting a little cooler now. Why don't you get a soil test now and put down your Potash (K) and wait until spring for your Nitrogen. We've not had any rain for months and now that we've had a shower or two the turf has greened up. I'm sure that it will go dormant when the frosts and real cold hit. The root system can always use the Potassium. I'm not sure that the summer Nitrogen has evaporated or not but things are greener and a week or so.