1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

To late in the season???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by abloom, Nov 11, 2007.

1. abloom

abloom LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

Is it to late in the season to overseed? We've had a couple of nights and the temps were just below freezing.

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

I would say wait ground temp it getting to cold for the seed to germinate this year.
  3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

we have already got winter rye going here in Texas......

If your talking about summer type grasses YES
  4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

yes... but why not try anyway, ya never know....:clapping:
  5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Zone 7? Wait 'till after Thanksgiving and do some dormant seeding, if your area truly goes 'dormant'. Use very minimal amounts of rye, and cross your fingers. I've had very good success in the past, getting lucky with the right type of winter snow cover and late thaw pattern, and waking up in the spring to find success!
    Just watch your erosion potential, and think like a raindrop!
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, a lot of times the seed waits until spring, then BLAM.
    I would definitely core aerate thou.

Also I'm a bit heavy handed on seed, 50 pounds per 1/4 acre, no exceptions.
  7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Why waste your time and your customers money just tell them its getting to late in the season for seed to germinate properly they will appreciate your honesty.
  8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

So if nothing germinates, who picks up the expense in the spring when it's seeded again?
  9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

that was a joke, ok, not a great one but i tried....:)
  10. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

1MajorTom and LawnPro, That's why it's called dormant seeding, and that's why it's not supposed to be performed until after the last possible chance of any germination happening in the fall. And yes, it does indeed work! The 'honeycombing' effect of the freezes and thaws of the soil have much to do with the way the soil ' grabs on to' the seed and covers it. The advantage is that you've got turf coming in early, REAL early, often when it's too wet to get equipment out and onto the mud. I know everyone can envision that!

The hope is for a relatively cold winter that preserves the seed, and not for a long, drawn out wet winter, when the seed may rot or wash. And also you can 'overcompensate' for erosion a little more than usual with more straw, or heavier hydromulch, etc because you're actually helping to overwinter the seed with it some.
    Try it on a couple places. Don't use too much rye, though! I do all mine after Thanksgiving around here.