1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

to late to get more customers?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by me., May 19, 2008.

1. me.

me. LawnSite Member

its 5/19/08 now, and im wondering if you guys think its to late to bring on more customers, i have only done 3-4 cuts on my other customers..if its not to late, should i just use flyers? all the imput i could get would help! thanks
  2. St. Andrew's Lawn Care

St. Andrew's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Never too late...I think you might find this time of year with school getting out there will be a few highscoolers getting out there too. I have had pretty good luck picking up customers in the summer simply because they decide they would prefer to have it done instead of fighting the heat. Try and ask your current customers to work for you by finding neighbors who might be interested...Give them some flyers or a handful of your business cards and ask them to think of anyone they think might be interested...I picked up three last week simply by asking my customers to find more customers in the neighborhood...that way I keep my routes tight and travel less...gas prices are only going to get higher...

Good luck.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

As was said it's never too late.

Now you might get some accounts JUST for the summer, but if you're game then money is green too :p
  4. progressivelawncare

progressivelawncare LawnSite Member

i have been getting calls from people in the last week who have not had their yards cut yet and i am on my 5th week of cuts. so be careful, if it is ten inches it will take two or maybe three passes to get it under control.
  5. St. Andrew's Lawn Care

St. Andrew's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Bingo...I had the exact same thing on two yards...I told the customers I would charge an hourly rate as if I were doing a spring/fall clean up and get the yard under control after which I went to a weekly rate...Both were happy with the initial expense because they were just relieved to see a beautiful yard after I was done...Took a bit of work and double mowing but for $47 per hour plus disposal fee and two and a half hours later...I got paid pretty well and they got a happy lawn...and I noe have two more weekly accounts...

6. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I am still getting calls I have turned 3-4 away in the last week....... My schedule is full.....
  7. laxative

laxative LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

This might be the most obvious time to get new customers. People with overgrown yards get desperate, and they're easy to spot. Knock on their door. Worst that can happen is they say no. Cut it 3-4 times, whatever it takes, for a regular rate and sign 'em up for the rest of the year. Sometimes these people are poor/cheap/lazy. Maybe offer bimonthly service if it looks like they can't afford or don't want to pay every week.
  8. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Its never too late, I just went on a residential bid today. (couldn't match the price the lowballer gave her) But its getting hot and lots of folks don't like to sweat.
  9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

if you have room for them then it's not to late i just picked up one last Thursday morning and lost one later that morning (he was looking for somebody lower) then picked up another Friday afternoon so those two that i picked up made up for the one i lost and get this i dont have to drive the thirty miles round trip anymore and freed up 1.5 hours.
  10. des1477

des1477 LawnSite Member

never to late to get more lawns