To late to lay crabgrass pre emergent control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by venecular, Apr 14, 2004.

1. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

If you miss the time frame to lay the crabgrass pre emergent what can be done to stop the pesty crabgrass. Besides spending hours picking each weed by hand.

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Postemergent. Didn't you learn that in your classes to get licensed? Or are ya a homeowner?

3. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I have my own business in lawncare and not yet licensed but I do not spray pesticides on my clients yards. Just my own... Thanks for the info...l

4. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

5. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

I would think you still have time (even in ATL) to apply Dimension (pre- and post-emergent qualities) or Drive (post- and pre-).....

6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

In our area, we shoot to have all 1st rounds done by the end of April into 1st week in may. Then we turn around and start on round 2. I use drive, good product, but expensive!

7. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

I heard that the ground temp should be 50 degrees or warmer for pre-emergents to work.
    A meat thermoeter will work for that.

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Or just look at the lilacs... they bloom when the ground temp gets to 50 degrees.

9. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

when is it to late to apply Dimension? heard it wouldn't work if soil temp is to high!?

10. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Thats just for your region...........down in the south lilacs havent even though of blooming yet and we have had weeks of 80-90 degree weather already, crabgrass has already emerged and growing rampant, selective post emergent is the only hope now, way too late to apply a pre-m.