To Letter or not to Letter...that is the question

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Pristine PM, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

Hi Guys, new to the commercial side of business and my partner and I are unsure of something. Our plan is to have a full route by the time April hits us and if we have a full route, we will not be looking for business... so is lettering your truck a waste of money? We can get some decent graphics and lettering done for $300 a truck, and we are just not sure if it is better to have unmarked trucks, or if lettering will help us get customers for future years. Our worry is that we will be getting calls, and we will always be saying that we are full and can't take them till next year. We also are worried that we will get calls from areas that are out of our service area by just driving around from time to time and that we will end up looking bad or small to these people that we are turning down.

Any advice or help is really appreciated,

Thanks,

Jon

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Better to letter IMO. Not so much for the idea that you will be expecting calls from folks seeing your truck, but more for visibility, branding, and getting your name in front of people over and over and over again.

3. kirk brown

kirk brown LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

i would letter it anyway.
    it looks more professional and i don`t think anyone ever suffered from
    overwhelming phone calls due to truck lettering. if they call say
    "sorry were all booked this year".
    good luck

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Look into the laws of your government DOT. Here in MN, EVERY commercial VEHICLE, not just trucks has to be lettered. Company name, city AND state.

I've HEARD rumors that every vehicle over 10k needs to have a USDOT number, whether you cross state lines or not, but so far I haven't been able to definately nail that one down.

5. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I would letter it. I don't generate many calls off of my truck lettering, but that is not why I do it. I think it looks professional, and your customers probably like to see it too. An unlettered truck has somewhat of a "tenetive business" look about it.

If you have a logo, use it. On everything.

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We letter all our trucks. I believe by 2007 it will be the law for any commercial vehicles. Current law is anything 10K GVW and over.

Attached Files:

7. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I think other lawn companies notice it more than anything. Just shows your in business

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Letter it, It all about the image you wan't to project

9. lightsaber

lightsaber LawnSite Member

Anyone know what the rule is in NY for towing a lettered enclosed trailer. Would the tow vehicle need to be lettered and commercial. I'd like to use personal truck and not have to be commercial plates. Gross weight wil be under 10k

10. lightsaber

lightsaber LawnSite Member

Anyone know what the rule is in NY (not the city) for towing a lettered enclosed trailer. Would the tow vehicle need to be lettered and commercial. I'd like to use personal truck and not have to be commercial plates. Gross weight wil be under 10k