To make more money you have to spend more money! Maybe not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HenryB, Nov 28, 2007.

1. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I here this cliche a lot. The more I think about it the more it seems like it's just an excuse to buy new toys (truck, ZTR's etc). I'm seeing more and more idiots not making any money buying new pickups ZTR's etc. Last month the biz $ucks and they are gettin out, then bam an 08 F350 loaded. I ask how or why and they explain now they'll start making money due to the new truck.:dizzy:

2. me gonna get a new f-350 truck in a couple of years, then again maybe not, all depends on the mood.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, to an extent it does take money to make money.

But still, it's about making money, and in this business, a shiny new pickup ain't making it happen. It's not making you money... it's only costing you money and also loosing value at a fast rate.

The smart guy invests his money in working equipment...

And good lord... if you are going to spend a good bit of money on a truck... use your noggin and go for the dumptruck... another money maker...

4. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

Any smart person in the business or any business for that matter uses there income to get them to the next point of thier life. Yes it takes money to make money, and yes you do need to buy equipment, trucks, insurance..etc etc. However, with the extra money you have, instead of wasting it on a new whatever, take it and invest into Self employed pension plans, or mutal funds, or stocks, or IRA's whatever you feel is right. Compound interest and longevity are amazing things. I know I dont want to do this for the rest of my life, especailly as I get older. Just my 2 cents...

5. Chuckie

Chuckie LawnSite Member

Chuckie<---------smart guy because I invested my money in working equipment

Working equipment<----------shiny new pick up truck that is making it happen, making me lots of money pushing snow so its paid off for the Lawn Season and I get to drive it the next 8 months without making a payment If I Choose too. Of course I continue making payments over the summer just in case it doesnt snow this year. :laugh:

6. theother

theother LawnSite Member

Chuckie<---------smart guy because I invested my money in working equipment

Working equipment<----------shiny new pick up truck that is making it happen,

lol i just thought that truck was compensating for something

7. Chuckie

Chuckie LawnSite Member

8. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

Here's what I say if your purchase will help you become more productive= more work =more moola. Then yes buy it! Dont buy something just so it looks good on the trailer and you'll only use it once in a while. I guess you just have to justify the expense!!

9. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

IDK if it comes down to paying extra taxes or getting a nice piece of equipment I vote for the new equipment.

10. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

I beleive it is about the image/professionalism. It is important to some potential customers, not all. The customers that I am looking to service, gated community, commercial properties. I have a new F250 and a 2007 Pace 7 1/2 x 16 enclosed trailer. I invested in a wrap with my company logo on it. It stands out and gets attention (rolling billboard). This is my first year in the business. When I pull up for an estimate the potential customer assumes that I have been doing this for many years because of the investment I have made in my equipment. Of course I dont correct them on this. I see LCO'S everyday with the family suv pulling a trailer with a craftsman rider on it. I understand that for some they don't have the money to invest or maybe they just don't care. We wear company polos and tan pants. I see other LCO'S in sleeveless shirts and look like they haven't shaved in weeks. Who would you hire?