1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

to many posts

Discussion in 'Questions, Rules, Suggestions' started by thenewguy, May 20, 2002.

DO you agree with what i was saying

1. yes

3 vote(s)
  2. no

15 vote(s)
  1. thenewguy

thenewguy LawnSite Member

Hello. I couldn’t help but notice all of the wasted space on this site. There are tons of questions that have no response at all or are just dumb and have no info in them. There are also others that are asked a hundred times. Sharpening blades, best mowers to buy, double blade, why don’t some one delete all of the ones that stink and provide no info and keep all of the good ones that have a lot of info. There are also ones that are out dated for ex “ the drought of 2000” or “ did it rain were you were yesterday”. It makes it frustrating when doing a search because you search 1 word and may get 100 trends but only 5 informational. I would be glad to help by finding trends that have no info and email to who ever is in charge just let me know. Who else feels this way.

And I love this site it helps people in a million ways and no one can say that they looked at this site and they did not learn some think new. And who ever owns this site should be prod they help a lot of people. And I don’t mean to conplain put there is a lot of un use full posts well thanks for your time and since I am not happy with use full posts I would not mind if you delete this one in 3-4 weeks..
  2. RayoVac

RayoVac LawnSite Member

Being a "NewGuy" myself... I would have to strongly disagree with you. Even back in the BBS days... half the idea of a message board is the feeling of "Community". Community mean that we share what we are thinking, feeling, doing etc.

Not only is this a great place to find helpful information in improving your business... this is also a place where friends come together to discuss things you might not find so useful. We discuss personal issues, business issues and about anything in between.

The thing that separates one "Forum" from another is: "The Interest in Common". In this case it is obviously Commercial Lawn Care. Because of this it is a great place to learn... but mind you... if it where just here to make better LCOs.... I am guessing it would not be FREE!!!

As far as repetitive posts and stale information are concerned. Again, I think they are useful to a point. True... Topics that are 2 or 3 years old and just RANT... could be annoying. But... at the same time... people may ask the same question in the same week 5 times. This does not mean they are to lazy to use a search engine... just maybe they are looking for something slightly different then the first author.

New post generate New Interest... Most do not look past the first page...

The beauty of all this is.... "Something for everyone". Whether you are a 20 year veteran LCO or a Startup (or even a lurking homeowner :D ) There is great information, tons of sharing of not just business experiences…. but financial info, etiquette, theory, and gold old BS!!!!

IMHO…. All the above is what makes Forums like this one what it is!!!

(Off my Soap Box…) :eek:

3. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

Kinda' hard on us aren't ya"?
    Gotta' remember not all replies are consistant for all questions/threads. This is a lawnsite,remember.
    There might be three different threads for blades,BUT they may apply to three different geographical locations. What works in one place may not work in another.
    Same for mowers,etc.,etc.,etc.
    I've been in this a long time and I'm still picking up good info. from this site. Wished I'd had found it sooner.
    There is another site that I spend a lot of time at that has the same type "problems" that you are bringing up here. No big deal to the members there. (Approx.22,000)
    Find what you need,read what interests you,and skip the rest.
    Not flaming,sometimes it does get a little redundant.
    Just my .02
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I think Jodi said she was going to start with all these polls that no one replies to.:D
    Seriously, I understand where you are coming from, but threads like the droght of 200, as insignificant as that may seem, MAY have something of value to someone someday. There ARE alot of variables considered, even though yes, many are the same or nearly the same.
  5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Hey thenewguy - No offense, but I think your post is dumb and has no info in it.
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

No Lawnsite is fine the way it is.

It is hard enough keeping up with all the posts checking to make sure everyone is following the guidelines. And it's always hard editing someone's words because there is bound to be some flack given even when there are guideline violations.

Then to suggest to start deleting threads after 3 or 4 weeks would create even more work. Who would decide what is a worthy thread or isn't? If threads were just constantly being removed after members gave an effort to reply, I can see how members wouldn't like that.

Lawnsite is a great tool, you just have to work with the search engine.

Removing thousands and thousands of threads is just not a possibility.
  7. Administrator

Administrator Administrator