To much fert on overseed job

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by t608, Sep 19, 2013.

1. t608

t608 LawnSite Member
    from RI

We overseeded a lawn the other day. I left the job for maybe an hour. I come back to see he went thru a bag and half which would cover 15k on an area totaling maybe 8k.

I'm like what happen to all the fert. He is saying the defector on spreader only kept the fert going one way, trying to blame me for leaving the defector down which I didn't. I think he put the deflector down thinking that is how you let the fert out. So he used way to much fertilizer on the rest of the property which is on the side of the house and backyard.

Am I screwed or what? I should have told him not to fertilizer as he has never done it before but I didn't think he would. On a positive side the lawn hasn't had any fert all season.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Good question. I think you should be OK. However...there is a good chance that an inexperienced operator will leave some burns due to starts and stops, (like my neighbor did). Also there is a good chance that it will be uneven due to stripes of green. Leaving the side deflector down will often leave some big-time green streaks.

Here is hoping that there was no crabgrass control or weed and feed involved.

Let us know what happens. OK? Cool rainy weather headed your way--it should help.

3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Well first off if it does burn the lawn its your fault

What type of Fert

4. t608

t608 LawnSite Member
    from RI

I'm sure he didn't stop the fert when making his turns.

Some fert I had leftover from last year for seed jobs. I think it was 14-24-12. I'm probably off on that a little. If it does burn I don't have a problem redoing my work, they have been a customer for years. The lawn is already burnt with alot of weeds.

I will keep you posted on the results.

5. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I would say you should be ok as the saving grace is that the nitrogen is not high and the weather is cool.

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Being 14 on N I say you will be ok

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

14 24 12...It sounds like you'll be fine.

8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Being 14% or being 46% is not the issue... actual Nitrogen/k is the issue... if the bag was meant for 15k and it was all put down on 8k,,, then you have approximately double...

Was the bag meant to apply 1lbs per 1000??? So you have now 2 lbs. per 1000 of nitrogen???

Does all of that P present a problem for burning??? I've always heard that P burns more than N...
    Anyone know for sure???

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

10. t608

t608 LawnSite Member
    from RI

Just over two weeks with no burning.

I guess my question now is. Would I be safe to follow with fertilizer at 30 days?