to much fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by sparcolawn, Apr 22, 2005.

1. sparcolawn

sparcolawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

i think i used way to much fertilizer on my lawn, it takes the landscaper about 15 minutes to mow my lawn so its not to to big, abd the bag i used was for 15,000 square feet, is my lawn gona die you think? and if so what can i do? thanks

2. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

How big is your lawn? Even if your lawn is only 3000 square feet its not going to die.

3. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I bet it will soon take more than 15 minutes for your landscaper to cut the lawn.

4. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

Why would you do something that you didn't know would kill your lawn or not...:dizzy:

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

15 minutes 3 times a week maybe

6. sparcolawn

sparcolawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

so my lawns not going to suddenly turn dead brown? oh yea, they're calling for a week stait of rain too

7. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

This is why all (maybe not all, but more?) pesticides need to be restricted use. Sure, it was just straight fert (was it?).. but this goes to show what can happen from a home owner job.. :(

8. Chris Wagner

Chris Wagner LawnSite Senior Member

You'll actually be lucky if it rains. You can certainly burn out your lawn if you apply too much fertilizer... especially that which is high in Nitrogen.

Actively growing turf should feed off most of it, but excess growth isn't necessarily the best for your turf either. It might end up more prone to disease later on.

Helpful tip... know the size of your lawn and follow the calibration on the label for your spreader.

Mercy................