To much grass load

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Guam, May 28, 2006.

1. Guam

Guam LawnSite Member

Hello Everybody,

Got a contract cutting the grass at a large cemetary, so much grass to cut. Anyone got any suggestions?
  2. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

Get to work! JK.. Do you have the equipment you need to get the job done? Do you have anyone helping you? I have never worked a cemetery so I really don't know what to tell you. I would imagine it's just like any other lot but with many obstacles..:dizzy:

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Easy to me we mow 2 with z's and wb charge em,with your contract are you cutting weekly.
  4. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

When I worked at the funeral home, we also managed a cemetery and the guys there would mow it in sections pretty much all week long, so each day would be a different section and they mowed just about everyday. It's alot harder than it looks because you're weedeating around hundreds of monuments, unless it's a very small cemetery..
  5. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

mount your weed wacker to the front of your lawn mower, have it run the whole time. two birds with one stone....:)
  6. ripple

ripple LawnSite Member

Just mow for 8 hours per day and if you get caught up by Friday thats great just start all over again on Monday!

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Why did you enter into a contract if you could not handle the work?
    Time to hire an employee
  8. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

I have mowed a cemetery for 3 years now, and it's quite large. It's my church cemetery so I charge less. Look at the cemetery because our cemetery is not plotted well and one row even curves into another, and you can't just go up and down the rows, so you have to mow it in about 4 parts. Don't underbid, you'll regret it. I would also check laws concerning memorials like flowers, real or artificial so you don't remove them because the city I live in was sued because they removed the memorials and no signs were posted saying they would be removed.

Support your troops!!!:usflag:
  9. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Guam,

Hafa Adai! The only cemetery here of any size is the Veteran's Cemetery. That is an easy mow with a good ZTR and some line trimmers. Keep the fence clean with roundup/surflan to reduce the handwork. The other one's on the Island are pretty much walkbehind mowers and trimmer jobs.

Let me know which one you are doing. I did the Veteran's for 4 years as the last contractor under the Navy. If it is one of the others I still can help as I have advised each of the private ones on equipment and manning requirements.

email me if you would like to discuss:
  10. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

One other item you may need to address. June is the renewal month for our contractor's license. I trust you have the GCLB landscaping specialty license and not just a handyman's license from Rev & Tax. The fine for not having the proper license is $10,000. :hammerhead:

Another Guam guy