1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

To much grass

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by True Harbor, Jun 5, 2006.

1. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

I haven't cut any properties like these before. In one week the grass is growing a ton (maybe 3 or 4 inches). They're nice homes and I think tru-green fertilizes/applies weed killer to most of them. It's st. augustine grass and I've been cutting at 4 inches side discharging. Should I cut at 3.5 will that help slow it? Thanks if you guys can think of anything
  2. GrassQuester

GrassQuester LawnSite Member

I cut St. Augustine at 4 1/2 inches wow if you went to 3 1/2 that would be terror!!!
  3. Full throttle lawn care

Full throttle lawn care LawnSite Member

In prime time it needs to be cut every 4-5 days at 4in. More cuts more money.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This is one time where I will agree that, if a lawn is heavily fertilized and sprinklered (or it rains lots), you may well need to cut it more often than 7 days. The only reason I'm heavily against the practice is because most lawns are not like that, but yes you can and will run into one here, one there.

On that note, Chem lawns are usually not that bad thou customers can make special requests, what I find happens with the wildest lawns is the customers fertilize it themselves and go way overboard... Which in this case benefits you.

Yeah, I mean, if it's that bad... I had one or two in the past which required I come out every 5-6 days.

I cut all of mine at 3" always, but that's just me.
    Will a lower cut slow it?
    Yes but before you do that, you're better off cutting it more frequently at whatever height you normally cut because to cut lower with any type of grass will get you a TON more clippings initially, plus with a lawn that grows like this you might get burns as well.

The ONLY time I lower my cut height is as a last resort and it is a cheat of sorts, I do it only when I am very heavily backed up with no relief in sight that I can not get caught up any other way, because it's more work initially and then it really slows it way down... Once you cut lower, it will take 2-4 days more time before it grows back to needing a cut at your original cut height.

Last but not least, all it takes is ONE time you will lower your cut and FORGET to raise it after you're done with this lawn, and next thing you know it's a week or two later and you're wondering why none of your lawns need cutting and when it finally dawns on you that your cut height is off, don't say I didn't warn you lol (been there, done that).