To much growth!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Organicsuccess, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Organicsuccess

Organicsuccess LawnSite Member

I have a contract with the local lds churchs in my county (24 buildings). They also have a contract with chem lawn doing all there fert.
    My problem is every time they fertilize the grass grows crazy for 3-4 weeks. On average 4-6 inches a week, a few growing 8 to 10 inches in a week. This puts me way out of my budget.
    I need to talk to the manager and would like some input before I do this.
    this is the biggest contract i have so this is important to me.

Where is the limit for you guys before you have charge more?

2. bahamamills

bahamamills LawnSite Member

Are we to assume that this is a weekly(mowing) contract? If not how often do you mow? What are you mowing with.

You will get plenty of advice but lay it out for us.

3. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Need more info , as stated are you cutting weekly. How much grass are you taking off the top when you cut.

4. Organicsuccess

yes this is a weekly mowing contract, we are cutting at least 3-5 inches off every week a few place have grown as much as 6-8 inches a week

how much growth do you expect every week from your jobs and what would you consider extra?

5. TNT LawnCare Inc.

How does it put you out of your budget , are your contracts on a minimum amount of mows per year ??

6. Organicsuccess

These churches average about 20-50 thousand sq ft
    There are also 6 ball fields associated with them. I use 2 stander 52" Decks and two honda 21" decks for this route

7. Organicsuccess

The contract is for 36 mowings a year for each building set at a flat price.
    This puts me out of my budget when I set a price that reflects 2 hours of mowing (assuming the grass is growing 2-3 inches a week) and it takes 4 hours for example (because it grew 5-6 inches a week)

8. Organicsuccess

so before they fertilize my guys on this route are getting 35-40 hours a week.
    For 3 weeks after they fertilize my guys are getting 55-60 hours a week

9. lawnman456

lawnman456 LawnSite Member
    from ct

at least it is a good problem

where i live grass is not growing

10. TNT LawnCare Inc.

Are you double cutting the grass cause its high ?? I'd run a set of high lifts and mulchers if you are.. So i'd run double blades under the standers.