To much MULCH ?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by wrm, May 20, 2007.

1. wrm

wrm LawnSite Member

Another newbie question guys.
    Had a potential customer call me and wants his beds mulched- they are
    already prepped, just need it delivered and spread.He said last years co.
    used 26 yrds! Which I figured to be about $2000 job. They are a month behind, so he called me. This house is in a very upscale neighborhood,
    atleast million dollar homes. He also wants about 30 small bushes trimmed.
    We're going to look alot closer at it Monday, did drive by today, but it looks
    like it needs about 16 yrds, do to a pretty good of build up of last years mulch. We are thinking about 1800 to 2000, too low? too high ? Him knowing
    it took 26 yrds last year and probably paying 2000 is somewhat influencing
    my estimate, right or wrong. But this is definitely the type of neighborhood
    we'd like to get into. Thanks alot guys.
    CLEAN CUT LAWNCARE

2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well at 26 yards, at 2K that's 77.00 per yard installed.

16 yards divided by your price comes to 112.50-125.00 per yard installed. A little high for this area, dunno about yours.

You need to find out how much mulch it will really take. There's a big difference between 16 and 26 yards.

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

It might just be me, but I think you need to simply measure it out and ifgure out what the job will need and tell him what you will charge for what he needs.

4. wrm

wrm LawnSite Member

what about cost to trim 30 bushes and remove debris?
    If we go with 16yrds, we'll charge 1250 for that plus the bushes, any suggestions on the bushes? thanks

5. boxsky

boxsky LawnSite Member

I charge $60 per yrd mulch and $35 an hr for trimming, clean-ups, etc...

6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You need to find out what thickness he wants that mulch laid. maybe he likes it laid ultra thick for some reason, which btw, i do not think too thick is the answer. but find out how thick he wants it, and i do not think he needs to know how many yards you are going to have delivered. just measure correctly according to how thick he wants it, and price it.

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

That is a crap load of mulch took one of my guys a solid week to spread a pile like that but also he needed to lightly touch up the beds and edge. compare your price per yard and the price for your hourly rate and see where you are

8. boxsky

boxsky LawnSite Member

A week for 26 yrds?

I and one helper, edged 800 ft, pruned 50 bushes, shoveled by hand and spread 30 yrds in 15 hours.

9. Grass Cake

Grass Cake LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone C

I've done 3 mulch jobs since noon last Friday.
    Total yards =32. I had a day laborer for one day.
    I cleaned up the old beds,cut a new edge,shoveled
    it all in about the same total hours.(split between days or evenings.) Basically Solo.

Your slacking if it takes you a week!

Grass Cake
    >Lipan Conjuring