to much nitrogen

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mikeshere89, May 21, 2003.

1. mikeshere89

mikeshere89 LawnSite Member
    from iowa

i put down nitrogen pellets last weekend and now my yard is starting to burn out, it is burning where my tire tracks are from my 36 wb, anything i can do to stop it from burning anymore and will it come back shortly(turning green again) please help

2. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

Water, water, then water some more. Nitrogen will get used up quicker if you water it in real good.

3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah take mikes advice...water water water...and then youll have brown patch!

4. mikeshere89

from iowa

it is day six since i put it down, do u think the burnt grass will get worse or is most of the damage done? god i hope it doesnt get any worse, this was a complete **** up on my part.

5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, it will get worse. Pretty much what you have done is over applied the synthetic nitrogen and now it is acting like a salt.
    The delay in response to the problem means it wasn't as bad as it could of been.
    Take a stiff spring leaf rake and vigorously rake about 2"-3" deep and loosen the soil.
    Water in approximately 1" of water with activated charcoal.
    This method works well with almost any type of over application - and it works best when done immediately after the screw-up.

6. mikeshere89

from iowa

so i am going to loose all of the grass then? also just do this where it is burnt, i sure as hell cant do the whole half acre like this.

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Is it that dry there? Are you sure it's being burned and not leaf spot or brown patch?

8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

How late in the spring season do you guys up there (Mike in iowa) apply fert with N on cool season grasses? I know the climate is later up there, but down here we dont put down N on cool season (only tall fescue can barely survive here) after April.

9. mr.lawnzap

mr.lawnzap LawnSite Member
    from tulsa

im in similar a temperature area as you in arkansas and i wont put down high n fert on fescue, i use triple 13 it wont burn it and makes it thick and green.

10. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

I wasn't thinking about it being a cool season grass. Not much used in my area.
    I would still water the grass real good one time to dilute the nitrogen then water on a regular schedule. Water the grass in the early AM.