To much pressure?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by duckworth, Jul 3, 2012.

1. duckworth

duckworth LawnSite Member

residential job. Tapping into 3/4 copper pipe before line enters house and before prv .pressure is 80 psi .my question should l install a prv or can l use the flow control on 1" valve to cut pressure down?

2. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

You can use the flow control, or you can use this: http://www.hunterindustries.com/product/valves/accu-sync

A lot of people will tell you the flow control way is a piker method, that being said I use it every now and then. We have starting using the accu-sync on the master valve, and it is a very economical way to regulate pressure.

3. duckworth

duckworth LawnSite Member

Thanks for your advise.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

That is because it is.

5. Converting valves to flow control valves and using them to regulate pressure worked for me. With an install though you can be more proactive and like TX says put in a MV. Even then you may want to adjust the flow controls some.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

It might be a low cost improvement but it is not pressure control.

7. It is in my opinion is a very good low cost improvement. Gives the customer a lot of bang for their bucks. Swapping tops and converting a DV to a DVF and reducing the pressure with it to 10 popups which were misting at 60 psi plus to 35 psi or to large droplet spray is cheaper than changing them all to PRS heads.

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

But not as effective because you do not know what pressure you will have at 3 AM on tuesday morning in the spring vs the summer or even saturday.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

What duek said + dogging the flow down beyond what is required by design in order to get "cheap" pressure regulation is not a solution. At best it is an amateurish band aid.

10. True. Have to upgrade in stages though. First the valves then Sam/prs then the controller. Fortunately in the older areas of Dallas where I worked the pressure was pretty consistent.