To much trimmer line

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Watson's Landscaping, May 19, 2007.

1. Watson's Landscaping

Watson's Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Most of the guys up here in S.E. Michigan know the new fences in the subs the one's with all the bars in them. Well I don't know if its just me but it seems like they eat up my trimmer line way to fast, does any one else is this.
    :hammerhead:

2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I edge w/ the trimmer along both sides of fences so that I don't really have much of a problem, just like you would do along a curb.

3. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

dont "jam" the line or trimmer head at fence skim the grass if possible

4. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a property with and natural stone retaining wall along the edge of the whole back yard, the lawn grows right up to the wall so there are many nooks and crannies where i have to trim plus the foundation all around the house. So i go through alot of line, just try not to "jam" it way in because it will wear out unnecessary trimmer line.

5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have also found that using just enough throttle to trim the grass helps keep the line from being chewed up. Chainlink and hog wire fences are some of the worst.

6. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

It may not be practial but would round-up work around the fence?

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen some LCOs use roundup on fence lines. If done right, I think it looks fine.

I don't have much problem eating up trimmer line except with the chainlink fences. I TRY to skim as much as possible to avoid it, but seems I always end up "catching" the line in the fence and eating it up.

8. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Use the Magnum Gatorline, it will last you alot longer...

http://www.mowpart.com/trimmer-line-magnum-gatorline-c-158_160.html?<osCsid>

9. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

If you use better trimmer line it will last longer. I am always on the search for better line. Last year I found some stuff at a local hardware store that lasted a real long time. Havent found it again. I currently use Stihl green line .095 and it is all around good. Some lines also split at the ends and require refreshing more often. Stay away from these. I go through about 30-40 ft a day as compared to 50-70 ft of cheaper lines. This incudes a lot of vertical and stone/wall trimming. $0.02

10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

chain link fence eats a lot of trimmer line.....

I can run a month on 1 spool.... but some of my employees can get maybe a week out of a spool....

but I have been line trimming for many years.....
    I like to leave a lot out when I'm trimming a chain link fence it slowes down the trimmer, makes a wider path, and doesn't use as much line.

we all have our habbits, "stlye" of doing things that work best for us.
    ya may need to slow down a bit.