To mulch, or not to mulch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by uspw, Nov 30, 2005.

1. uspw

uspw LawnSite Member

Just wondering what the general thoughts on mulching versus bagging were around the site. Thanx.
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Mulching is faster and alot easier.
  3. sicklid

sicklid LawnSite Member

Depends on what the customer wants but down here we primarily mulch.
  4. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, first we have to determine if you are mulching grass or leaves. To mulch grass usually has a good effect on the yard, as it puts back some nitrogen, so I am told. Leaves in some cases are detrimental to the yard because it puts to much acid back into the mix. Of couse depending on what leaves you are mulching. The big advantage of mulching as opposed to bagging is that it is much faster and a whole lot less work to clean up leaves.

That's my "simple" version of mulching versus bagging. (acually it is my only version)
  5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Since I upgraded this fall with a mower that has a bagging system, I have been doing mostly bagging. However, about 90% of those lawns involve muclhing some of the leaves first, then baggin to cut down on overall volume. I don't have access to a leaf loader so doing some mulching really helps. I also dump most of my leaves on site.
  6. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I've done it both ways. I think bagging leaves the lawn cleaner. Mulching, especially with a more powerful mower, can be faster and you dont have leaves to haul away. Not to mention the landfills arent getting filled up with leaves/clippings.
  7. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

If I am gonna bag THEY ARE GONNA PAY, man I dont even mulch on most of my mowing (only if close quarters, to keep flying stuff down) as Far as Leafs I have a vac on the mower and I almost always collect them, I do charge for carry offs
  8. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

The answer to your question: "to mulch!"
  9. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

Mulch if you can. No complaints, no mess etc.
  10. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have done every way possible, and trust me bagging is not the way to go.