To Mulch or Not to Mulch

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ProImage, Oct 18, 2006.

1. ProImage

ProImage LawnSite Member

From what I've read about the benefits of mulching, why isn't evrybody mulching? Wouldn't it be easier? You wouldn't have to blow out beds, etc...
    New to the bizz and was just wondering.

2. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It is easier most times. Depends on the grass...and the deck. Just spray some fluid film under the deck and gooooooo. But you dont need to mulch in the Summer...just spring and fall

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We mulch 100 percent with outlet closed, but in wet grasses that won't work well. We tried to mulch some rye grass this morning...no way.

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

As a general rule, mulch in the city, discharge in the country.

5. ProImage

ProImage LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The reason I have mulch OFF this time of the year is because leaves are coming, and once they fall I sure would hate first for myself or someone else to have to skim said leaves off the same mulch I just put down because it is more time consuming, or have a possibly inexperienced person clean the leaves and the mulch with it.

Thou I do get some requests, the above logic is explained to customers... If, after said explanation they continue to express their wishes to have mulch brought in, then I will do it.

7. ProImage

ProImage LawnSite Member

Topsites, thanks for the response but I was asking about mulching grass or side discharging it. What do you do and why? I have read that mulching is very good because the grass that settles back will add nutrients back into the soil. I pretty much see everyone around my area discharging. I like to know your thoughts.

8. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

In Texas, I think all but a very, very few mulch. The reason is that here most lawns are either Bermuda or St. Augustine. Both of these grasses mulch well. Mulching does add nutrients back into the soil. They say that mulching your grass can actually add 1-2 lbs of nitrogen into the soil each season. The other reason that we mulch is that it is a lot easier and quicker to do so. There are obviously no bags to empty or haul off.

Rye grass is a little different. I personally do not like Rye grass because it is hard to mow to look nice. You have to have extremely sharp blades and even then it tends to lie down in areas, particularly the area that your wheels run over. When mowing Rye grass, you have to make sure that you overlap the wheel area more and you certainly have to mow slower. It does help too if you disharge Rye grass rather than mulching.

9. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

we bag 85%