to mulch or not to mulch?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by miketina, Jan 31, 2007.

1. miketina

miketina LawnSite Member

I am worried about putting my mulching kit on my 48 metro with concerns about when the grass is wet or damp. Will it give as good a cut as when its dry. Do I have to take it off for wet conditions?

2. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

My thought is that you will have to take it off. Kinda of a pain...

3. cemeteryman

cemeteryman LawnSite Member

I care for a cemetery and the people here can make the pickiest homeowners look sloppy. I have went almost 100 percent no mulch because to get a good look, and a good cut I have to slow down so much I can't keep up. I also hardly ever mulch because it takes so long, and is so much work to change from mulch to non mulch and you get the picture. If it was a lot easier to go from one to the other I would consider it.

4. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're in the Chicago area, I would suggest only using the mulch kit in late fall. I put mine on in late September. At that point it will save you lots of time, but will be impossible to use in spring and summer.

5. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

6. EMTDUCK1984

EMTDUCK1984 LawnSite Member

If You Just Block Off The Side Chute It Will Mulch But Not As Well As The Exmark Kit You Do Have To Slow Down Some But It Makes A Lot Better Cut On Most Types Of Grass

7. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

one thing to note too. On the system i displayed my full mulch kit it still installed under that deck. only the discharge area was modified. and there is enough room under the baffeling system that if you want to bag then all the stuff that would have been "clumps" if you were fully mulching go under and then out to the bagger. When bagging you recieve the most benefit from this in wet grass or other like conditions.

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I didn't think they would notice!

I try and run the mulch kit as long as possible. I might have to double cut a yard here and there but to me the pros far outweigh the cons.