To mulch or not to mulch!?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnprosteveo, Apr 22, 2008.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Mulching seems so much safer to me....not throwing **** everywhere. But man! It zaps the horsepower! Cutting some tall, damp fescue and my Toro walkbehind was barely able to chew it up. Ive cut the same yard with same conditions only side discharging and the mower ate it up!

Now Im leaning back towards side discharging.... Any full time mulchers out there want to sound off? How bout dedicated side dischargers? And no...I dont bag...:hammerhead:

2. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

Mulching is the way to go.

3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Green T, the grass in Fla must be tough to mulch....does it slow you down? Or do you have a mower with enough power to handle it?

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

In my area, I think it's best to bag in the spring during heavy growth then mulch in the summer months. Once leafs start dropping in the fall, I'll go back to bagging and be better prepared for fall clean-ups.

5. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

I guess it depends on the type of property. Mostly I have high ends, all St. Augustine, and I wouldn't consider not mulching them since I also take care of the beds and ornamentals (full service). I do have 3 horse farms with bahia, and those I don't mulch.

I don't know much about northern turfs, so your situation may be different.

If I tell you what I run, people here would laugh. :waving:

6. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

I know from mulching all day it will chew up about 20% more fuel

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

If this is the case, most likely the surface of the turf was covered with the results of all that "chewing." I must have looked terrible. If not looking terrible today, what about in a couple of days -- all that debris turning brown.

What level of result are you intending to achieve? If that chewed debris is left, is that acceptable to your customers? ... to you? In my area, that visit would be my last one -- customer would throw me out.

8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh no not another "bagger". I assume thats where you are going with this? I am just south of you cutting the same type and quality of grass and you rarely see anybody bag or mulch around here. And guess what? No clippings in sight and no grass to haul to the dump each day and less time spent on each lawn.

Deep thick lush wet spring growth in this pic. do you see any clipps on the lawn?

[​IMG]

9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Yep! You catch on quick!

10. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes in the spring many of the lawns I cut have grown 7-8 inches in a week. Just how the midwest is I guess. No f'n way you can mulch in the spring here unless you mow every 4 days. Some yards I could get away with it as they grow at slower rates, or have thinner turf.

I see OCDC's around here but never seen anybody flat out mulching.