1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

to mulch or not to mulch????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snowmizer, Dec 20, 2003.

1. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

I have a question concerning mulch kits that are available for ZTRS. all of them offer it but around my area nobody uses them.I have asked the dealers in my area about them(Exmark,Scag,Lesco) and they all say the same thing,they claim once the deck size is 52" and up they are just not able to provide a quality cut. so any input that I can get from the people that actually use them would be great!!!! When I ask the dealers around this area they actually try to talk you out of it, saying that they are not worth it,my Exmark dealer told me there kit is horrible!!!. I am a little confused,do they work or dont they? any feedback would be great. thanks...
  2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I feel they work fine, until the leaves fall at such a rate they must simply just be clean up. But on some lawns we never even need to pick up one leaves becasue of the mulch kits. We use Scag mowers though.
  3. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

i use a 52in exmark w/ mulch kit. personaly i think they're great. most of my propertys are small to medium. as long as they're cut regular no problem. on a heavy cut i might go back and disperse the fine clippings with the backpack real quick or just run back over it but for the most part i think mulching keeps the mess to a minimum , it's good fertilizer too from what i've heard. same with leaves, if they're not bad they just disappear but of course if they're heavy they need to be cleaned up. side discharge doesnt really make since to me unless you have a large prop with high grass . i've seen guys around here flying around yards blowing stuff out the side 20', just doesnt look safe to me but then again i've only been in this a few years and i've always mulched.
  4. I use a 60in exmark w/ mulch kit. It has always worked great for me. Just keep the blades sharp. I've never had a complaint.
  5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

As you look at the responses note the location where each respondent is from. I believe grass type may in large part determine how well a mulch kit will perform.

I have used one on a Tiger cub, and have been very impressed....in certain situations. We have alot of lush KY Blue grass, and tall fescue. This stuff may be similar to the grass where you live. Well fertilized yards grow like crazy, and with massive growth you are going to have some messy situations. I would find that keeping the walks and drives from that pretty shade of green was nearly impossible. Big growth would choke the mulch kit, bogging down the mower and leaving a whole lot of residue in the grass and on the walks. If the grass is wet and tall it is even worse.

If you have lawns that do not grow real fast, or are not real thick, and you can put up with some green stains a mulch kit may work great for you.

I heard the same thing from dealers I spoke too, and I think they are being honest when they direct you away from a mulch kit as they likely know your grass type and have spoken to other contractors who have not used them with satisfactory results. Really how would they gain by pushing you away from them?

Just my experience and opinions
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

good point Shady
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

....and how much grey hair did this dealer/salesman have on his head??? And how many hours has he logged in the field testing these mulch kits? I've heard all that junk before and to put it nicely...it's B S!!!!!!

I mow cool season grasses, warm season grasses and weeds alike. On lawns, all I do is mulch and nothing else. Rain or shine, low or high and I don't have any problems.

However, the results do depend on the deck design and the design of the mulch kit. It also requires plenty of HP, so don't skimp there.

If it won't mulch they can keep it!!!
  8. snowmizer

snowmizer LawnSite Member

thanks for the feedback!! would be nice to use one,but i could see that heavy growth would be a problem. I think I will try it during summer months. Grass types in my area kentucky blue,perrenial rye,fescue...
  9. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

On the Ex 52 I put the kit on around late May or June...then take it off when the leaves get real heavy. Works well most of the season
  10. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Even on a weed infested lawn you all will mulch? Doesn't that just promote more growth? I bag almost religiously.