To our Aussie friends how's the drought?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Jun 12, 2005.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I was reading on the news about the bad drought in Eastern Australia. How is it affecting you guys down under if at all? I hear some parts havn't had rain much in years. I imagine its warm enough to mow all year in most of Australia.

2. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

G'Day Mate!

yeah, heard on the news the other night it's the worse in 30 years, apparently Brisbane is going on a total no sprinkler ban, big dam is down to 30%. Think they said only enough water for another 10 years.

I'm 4 hours north on the coast, it has been a wet summer and autumn here, lots of downtime due to rain, yet they were saying recently even here we are going on restrictions!

Has been my best season yet, normally work has stopped by now, but still powering on strong.

I haven't heard of the guys in the city complaining, everyone is happy with the cutting this year.

But in saying that, you don't need much rain to make grass grow, but you need cyclones and wet seasons to fill storage dams.

I know out west and down south the big farms are dieing from no rain, weeds won't even grow. ya heart goes out to those families...

Australia can be beautiful, and has many of the nicest places in the world, but it also has the harshest, cruelest as well...like our wild animals, from cute, cuddly friendly, to things that want to tear ya apart lol. Our climate is like that.

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Glad your having a good year. Hope it improves for those in the drought area. Always good to hear from our friends in Australia....