To plug or cap, that is the question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Critical Care, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Different strokes for different folks?

A situation has appeared as if one zone at a location will need to be capped off, or plugged, because of a demand for more parking. Surely no biggie, and the easy route out is to just remove the heads and screw threaded caps onto all of the ½” or ¾” MPT fittings. But does logic say to remove the funny pipe or swing pipe all the way back to the lateral line and then insert a threaded plug? Or would some of you cut the lateral upstream and glue on a cap? What saith thou?

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I would remove the heads and cap them.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on if the lateral is going to be driven on.

I usually just just cap the heads, but if its going to be used as parking, I'd cut the lateral.

4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

In this area, because of freezing temps, we cut back to a lateral or the last head. Don't need a leak forming under a parking lot later on.

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Go back to the valve and cap it near the box. then unhook wires from the valve and disconnect in the controller

6. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

I second that

7. Yep..cap it as far back as you can..the fewer points for leakage the better....

I have fixed many a head that was capped.....I have fixed many a leak that turned out to be a head with the radius adj screw on the nozzle turned all the way in....

Do your client and the next repairman a favor and cap the pipe....and measure to the cap from 2 or 3 objects that will be there awhile...so you can find it or the next guy can find it....just to be a nice guy :)

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We do this all the time for new features and/or buildings. Each one is different but I'd go back as far as necessary and cap lateral(s) that will be in the way of the new parking lot. If the whole zone is affected and it won't be revamped at a later time then go back to the valve and cap the main lateral coming out of the box. I'd also disconnect the wiring either at the valve or at the controller.

9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

That all makes sense. Sheshovel just has a thirst for gore, you know, that innate hunger for removing heads. Yikes.

Grassmech Mike… it certainly freezes here, and the truth of the matter is that we just can’t get away from it. Hey, I just had a $2500 expense to my diesel because of this stinking freezing weather. But you guys are right and it does make sense to cap the line off as far as possible, though I may not be able to go back as far as the valve box since the latest word is “lets meet and discuss some landscape options.” Hmm… that sort of sounds like capping, rerouting, digging, planting, and who knows what else… all in rock hard frozen ground. Gawd when is spring going to be here!

So, no plugs, eh? Bet some of you could count on one hand the number of times that you’ve used plugs.

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Plugs yes... but caps are a whole different thing. Lost count of them years ago. :laugh: