1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

To powerseed or not to powerseed?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by kirk1701, Aug 1, 2009.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Thats the question :dizzy:

So here's the plan.
    Cut short, Core Aerate then, 1 of two choices:

1. Powerseed and topdress with compost

2. Spread seed with spreader "daily" just what area I can get covered with the compost the same day?

Thats the question; it's just me so I'll be doing this all myself and its a lot to cover, about 15,000 SQ FT.

If I powerseed I would be renting so thats a one day job and take back next day then start covering the seed with compost which would take a week by myself.

Or 2. Just do what area I can get done on a daily basis and spread with spreader.
  2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Its a little early for overseeding in Wisco. Are you planting Southern grasses? Timing maybe right for them - I don't know.

Core-aerating for a seed bed is still the funniest joke, added to the lawncare mythology. :laugh:
    The barrier of the pre-m mythology isn't even funny, but the aerate for seed bed is.
  3. kirk1701

No small axe just planning ahead now for fall, probably do all this mid to end of September. Tall Fescue.

Lawn is healthy now, great shape just want to inprove the soil, loosen up the compaction so less run-off by aerating.
  4. Gold Star Lawns

Gold Star Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

i forget the exact %'s of the outcome...but your turnout is going to be better if you powerseed...i think the rate of seeds making it is 70-80%, whereas if you just overseed...its drastically lower(i forget the % for this). I would do both...powerseed then to a overseed as well.
  5. Smallaxe

Now that makes sense. :)
  6. kirk1701

Told you I was learning from you all :drinkup:

And lawn is looking awsome smallaxe, very pleased.

I got ever car slowing down when they pass, neighbors are jealous and even have some jealous enough to run off the curb at the street just to attempt to kill the grass.
  7. Smallaxe

:) Cool... :)
  8. kirk1701

I just got my first quote for Aerating the lawn. Not exactly what I was expecting I guess, or the guy just guestimated and gave me a price of $150 for front and back.

How do you guys go about giving a price?

any measuring involved or just look at the property and give price?

I thought $150 was reasonable but not sure.
  9. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Greenhorns should be using a measuring wheel. Experienced guys can eyeball turf size pretty decent. I bought a wheel this year, and found that a few properties I eyeballed were off by a bit. I call it a learning mistake.

At any rate $150 for 15K sq ft of turf is a pretty good price. $10/K. If it is a reputable establishment, I would hire them. Unless you want to jar all of your teeth out doing it yourself:laugh:
  10. kirk1701

Thanks DA, pretty much what I needed to know.

I called three places out of the yellow pages and this guy called me back next day though I missed the call, he left message on machine then I left message on his again LOL.

So, finally we got in touch with each other today and he came out same day.

Other two places we'll, said they would be in contact or someone would call in a week so its been a week.

In my opinion, early birds get the worm. Seemed like a nice enough guy so, think I'll let him know tomorrow and set up for third week in Sept weather permitting. :drinkup: