To Pre-M or not to Pre-M?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CharlieBingo, Apr 3, 2005.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I've read that Pre M stunts grass root growth as well as regermination(grass). I was thinking maybe just a post app. with a PGR for a first app. any opinion? Thanks
  2. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

I have a couple lawns that I have maintained since it was installed and I only apply pre-m along the edges of the property. I have been told that pre-m is stressful on lawns but I have always seen it as a catch-22. If I don't apply it and have to kill the unwanted grass later I am left with a bare spot that will be more susceptible to weeds later.
  3. MIDWEST25

MIDWEST25 LawnSite Member

hey guy your on the right track!I've been in the turf bus for 25 to 30 years and they don't make a pre-m worth a s---t!!!causes alot more harm than good and I've proven it on my own customers lawns.Why was everyone glad to see Drive come out if pre-m works.Keep the sun off the soil and you won't have to deal with grassy annuals.If people mow cool season turfs low and do not water they will most likely get hit regardless of pre-m or not
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

THAT is the biggest thing people need to learn, whether it's people on this board or homeowners, or commercial property managers, mow the grass TALL.

3"+ and leave it that way.

At least in cool season turf grasses.

I can't stand to see someone's scalped yard, and then call me and ask me to get rid of the weeds.

You ask them why they mow the grass so short.... "so I can cut off the dandelions".

People don't understand that if you were to leave the grass longer, you wouldn't have nearly the weed problem.
  5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

cultural control is a beautiful thing and it works
  6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

1st you need to way out the pro's and con's.. is the lawn dense, mowed high, etc. if it's the latter, then weeds can be delt with on an individule base. it not then maybe a pre-em is needed. on the other hand, post 'grass weed' chemicals are very expensive, and often do more harm then good! so applying a pre-em might be just fine, and if the lawn is healthy it will recover from any adverse effect the pre-em has caused, since there applied in the spring, the grass will most likly pull out of any adverse effect. do you spray broad leaf weed control? it's safe for grass, but it can and does cause stress to a lawn. mow high and water heavy and live right.