to rebuild or buy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ChadsLawn, Feb 10, 2003.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

As alot of you know, I went out of business last year do to illness and so on...But for the last 8 months Ive really missed the work and the freedom I had..Im trying to get started again..So far I have 3 accounts...But I only have 1 day off at my full time job..My question is, should I just do my best to rebuild my business or find 1 for sale..

Chad

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

If you bought a route, I am sure you could not get it done in one day... especially if it rained! :waving:

3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

If you find a good set up for a good price and it checks out well go that route. If not just have at it the old fashion way. Whatever you decide I hope it works out well for you. I hate to hear that you have to rebuild all over again but, maybe it could be even better this time around. Who knows.

4. danny m.

danny m. LawnSite Member

I have bought three lawn co already and looking at a fourth, it has worked out realy good for us hope this helps. Good luck!!! Hope your health is better. :angel:

5. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

If you've already got a full time job and aren't flat outta work then take your time and re-build your business again from the ground up. That way you can avoid all of the mistakes that you've made the first time through & do those things differently that you've always wanted to do. Won't take long to get back to where you were...:blob4:

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Chad, I would personally take my time and work on building the business back up since you currently have a fulltime job. I wish you the best of luck.

Gravely_Man

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Good words and PRO TURF, take your time and rebuild. If you found a good deal on some accounts it might be worth it. Can't really take on a lot of accounts mowing after work and on your 7th day. Personally I would not even schedule for this 7th day....man you need some rest somewhere in there. At least use the 7th day for office and shop work and catch up in case of rain days.

MATT

8. GraZZmaZter

GraZZmaZter LawnSite Senior Member

Ive posted on this similar subject not to long ago, and im going to say the same thing. GET IT IN WRITING!!! That is, if you decide to buy someone out. I have bought 1 co. out so far, and that is what sticks out in my mind the most, because i got stuck somewhere else in the long run. Take a guess.....

9. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replys...My best bet would be to build it back up..My main concern is that when its time for another day off at my full time job...Im afraid I my boss may say "I dont need any part timers"...reason is, is that I sell auto parts and my store is very busy 99% of the time...I still need my "reg" JOB untill I have enough accounts to take up the slack of not working there..But my Lawn Buiz is more important than my full time job, so If he doesnt like it well Ill tell the JOB good buy...Ill have to find side jobs and stuff to make it up..

Chad

ps.. Yes my health is alot better... Im back to 100% except gainning some weight due to the lack of mowing...LOL

10. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

chad went back and looked at a lot of your posts trying to see what happened when you got ill. so fill us in on what exactly made you sick. just curious