To rebuild or not

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by newblade, Dec 18, 2005.

1. newblade

newblade LawnSite Member

Is there a way to tell if a motor is able to be rebuilt before tearing it apart? I have a 22hp kohler on an exmark and it is using a lot of oil and smoking bad. It got down to no oil on the dipstick. Is there anyway to tell before I pay someone to tear into it and then they tell me it is no good and I still owe them money?

2. shop22

shop22 LawnSite Member

If you have a leakdown tester you can get a good idea what shape the engine is in. Even it you have to take it to a shop, they can get a good idea withthe test without completely tearing the engine apart. Shouldn't take more than 10-15 min to do the test.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Depending on what the would want to charge for the rebuild, a new engine may be in order, this way you know that it aint crappin out on you any time soon. Not sure exactly what model it is, but found this on small engine warehouse.com .... http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=CV22S-67544 Best of luck to ya.

4. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd pull the heads off and look at the condition of the cylinders. If they aren't scored, then your low oil level probably didn't harm anything. In that case, rebuilding would be more worthwhile. If there is a lot of heavy scoring, it will cost more, and may be indicative of damage due to lack of lubrication.

5. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

In most cases; engines are rebuildable if you don't grenade it or lock it up.