1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

to roll or not to roll

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bababooie, Feb 19, 2001.

1. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

do you guys roll your newly seeded lawns,and is there a difference if you do not? i'm big on seed soil contact. i usually roll after the straw is down.but i was wondering on big jobs how would i be able to?
  2. BryanB

BryanB LawnSite Member

Man, just seed, straw and go!
  3. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

It's fine to roll after the seed is down as long as the roller is not to heavy. I usually use an empty one. On a real large job, I wouldn't bother unless you have the time or the manpower. As far as a difference, I've seen nice seed jobs that were never rolled!
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i always put in new dirt, roll, get low spots out, scratch the surface, spread the seed, and then finally roll it with the straw on it.
  5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

It depends on how soft and flat the ground is weather I roll it or not. I have a gas powered walk behind thats like a tank at times.I always roll it befor I put the straw down. Weather conditions have a lot to do with how well the seed sets a root.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

About 80% of the time I roll, but with very little weight. Not enough to compact the ground but to make the seed have good contact. I think it really has an advantage in overseeding jobs. You make sure the seed gets to the soil and not stuck in the grass.
  7. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

65 hoss, what about newly seeded jobs