To sign or not to sign??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bastalker, Mar 1, 2003.

1. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

How would you guys feel about driving down the road seeing a huge sign on a telephone pole with Lawncare plastered on it, complete with telephone #? Would ya want to jump out an yank it down? You wouldn't care? jus curious... Personally I felt a little threatened since it was in my area. Was tempted to rip em down but obstained and let my work speak for itself:drinkup:

2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a new guy running around here. They are on every pole possible. I think it is tacky, but it must be effective or they wouldnt do it.

I seperate myself and my company from this form of advertising. They might get more calls, but I bet I get more customers.....and the ones wanting me to come back every year too.

I have felt nailing to a telephone pole makes you look cheap and will only get you cheap price shopping customers. This is my opinion.

If you want to put out signs, why not get some printed up that look very professional that are on a metal wire frame and can stick into the ground? I have heard they can be made cheap and could be placed in your customers yards as well. Just an idea!

3. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with you crazygator. I think it looks cheap also.

4. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry bout that I had to edit the post. didn't want anyone thinking it was me who did it!! :)

5. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I think it looks cheap too. I think if you're company is making good money then you wouldn't need to nail a sign to a pole.

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I've always heard that your not suppose to nail signs on telephone poles. I was told that the phone or power company that owns the pole , will charge you,if they have to pull your sign down. Theres a couple of signs near me , that have literally rotted apart while still being nailed to the pole.

7. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Thats cheap. To me that just says "I'm hurting for business". I duess whatever works in your area, but it's not for me.

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

bastalker

Be- a- Stalker...........wow...........you ain't got that on a personalized plate do you?

Nobody nailing them in poles here...............yet............I have found a competitors flyer rolled up in one of my customers driveways the other day. They're throwing them out like newspapers now.

It went to the truck with me.

9. Get yourself some 18x24 signs
    They run about $10.50

Place them in your customers lawns

If you have 5 customers next to each other.
    Place one on each lawn.

People will call you up saying

Do you cut those 5 lawns on (bla bla bla street)

I have purchased 12 of those signs
    Will let you know how it goes.

Please do the same if you use this idea.

PS
    If you need to know a place to get the 18x24 signs for around $10.50 let me know

10. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Wouldn't care. It's a waste of time and energy getting upset every time you see another company advertising. Did you think you were going to be the only one providing this service? Spend your energy on your own business and things will be fine. Competition is just a fact of life, regardless of what you do.