to soak carb..or not?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mowisme, Feb 26, 2008.

1. mowisme

mowisme LawnSite Senior Member

I called the Napa store on gallon of carb cleaning solution. about fell off chair- quoted $56! what happened to $8-$10.. anyway- I am about to get back at trying to narrow my CV25S engine problem down. My intentions were to let carb 'soak' for 24 hours while I checked other connections, readings, ect.. But at that cost-and due to the fact the carb looked like 'brand new' on inside when I cleaned it few weeks ago with spray should I not soak it? There is '0' gum/varnish in it. I also cleaned it with welding tip cleaning wire when I had it apart before. I have since noticed some 're-wiring' done by SAM somewhere along line..thinking that is the culprit, but in question whether I should SKIP the carb soak? thanks Geno

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't waste the time nor money soaking if you cleaned it as mentioned.

3. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful cleaning carbs with with wire tools.
    It's easy to misshape or damage the soft metal jets.

It doesn't sound like a soak would do good anyway.

4. mowisme

I think Carb is fine too, thanks for input -Gene

5. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

To see if one cylinder is performing undo a plug wire while motor is running. If there is a drop then cylinder is producing if no drop then its not. Without and logic id guess that your not getting a spark to one cyl which could be any number of reasons but if it was rewired id check connections but coils do go bad. Just a few thoughts from the peanut gallery. Good luck

6. mowisme

I already bought both coils new..I also do have power to both cylinders (did the plug wire thing, except one side runs better than other. also starts smoking black smoke-black carboned plugs. Gene I will check all connections and also see if a local shop can test SAM.

7. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Have him do a Cylinder Balance Test, also.

If you do decide to soak the carb, get Hydro Seal II from the Gunk company.
    It's a very, very mild acid that removes everything from the carb. Be sure and remove any plastic, vinyl or rubber (especially rubber!) parts that may be on the carb. And don't soak it for more than an hour.

If you are wondering why not to soak rubber parts, try soaking an old o-ring for a while.
    First time I put a carb into it, all the o-rings came out double-sized.

EDIT - Don't ever (EVER!) use torch-tip cleaners or wire on carburetors. At best you scrath the surfaces, making it easier for gunk and dirt to get in there and clog it. At worst, you make the holes bigger and the thing won't run right.

8. mowisme

Those cleaning points are nice to know- thanks. I have decided to just do a head gasket kit and clean/lap valves and see what happens. SAM will be next test after re-checking contacts,grnds.ect. I kind of put it on 'hold' for now..working on making my new (old) Great Dane Surfer ready for mowing. Got a great deal on it ($250) Gene

9. mock

mock LawnSite Member

try mineral spirtits I use it and it seems to work for me got that idea from a local shop