to soon to aerate?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Turf Manager, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Turf Manager

Turf Manager LawnSite Member

Thinking about aerating soccer field and seeding with TTRye to get early start what do you think. Ground is soft spring is coming

2. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I would not be putting rye down now no way!

3. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

It is too early to aerate, the cold ground can't recover and the cold air has a easier time keeping the ground cold. You need to be going by soil temperature's for all cultural practice's. Spring aeration can be tricky, don't do it until the ground and plant's can recover. What kind of field is this ? Why are you seeding in the spring ?

4. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

I would hold off just a bit till the night time temps level at 50 degrees. A quick cool streak could take your seeding out. Aeration is good no matter when except when very hot.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I think you can go ahead. Perennial rye will grow... but slowly when the daytime temps arise above about 45. Frost will not hurt it. When temps are warm it will grow fast. Consider pre-germinating the seed by soaking in warm water if you think it is worth the extra time and effort. Gains about 24 huors.
    I tried some cold and freezer treatment on newly sprouted perennial rye last month--but I cannot find the link and photos just now. I remember that minus 4 caused major damage.
    Use a top-quality rye that germinates quick. Large seed type like Blazer IV. Double or triple seed the bare areas. Goal mouth etc. Do you need to use the field this spring?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  6. jonniebud

jonniebud LawnSite Member

its gotta be warmer at night for the seeds to grow

7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I would just go out and broadcast the Ryegrass as Riggle suggestted... it is NOT like warm-season grasses and the sooner the better... if you still have a freeze/thaw cycle going with the soil the seed will settle in correctly ready for germination when the time is right...
    Will the rye survive the summer in your location???