1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

To Stabil Or Not?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by JCR1709, Dec 24, 2005.

1. JCR1709

JCR1709 LawnSite Member

Prepped my Fastrak Honda 20/52 for the winter and found it took quite a while to drain the fuel tank(s), then following Honda's procedure to run the engine until it stops. Then, Honda also recommends to open the carb drain screw to drain anything remaining in the carb. However, to reach the carb drain screw on the Honda 20 you have to remove the air filter housing, then another air intake housing, slide the carb outward, then finally you can find the drain screw. I followed this procedure, but have seen a post here that suggests that this procedure may be more harmful because of all of the air in the tank and lines may create h20 condensation.

I've always resisted the extra cost of Stabil but I may now see the light! Would it be a good plan to fill the tank near the end of the season with a stabil treated gas, mulch my leaves, then top the tank off with more Stabil treated gas to avoid any opportunity for condensation?

I'd love to hear as many opinions on this subject as possible!
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

You will be fine doing this.
    Personally, I would do it if I were in your shoes.

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I dont pretend to be any kind of expert on engines so what I say here is from various things I've read over the years and what has worked for me.

I used to do allot more to winterize the equipment but the past couple of years all I do is exactly what you mentioned....fill all tanks to the top with stabilized fuel and run it thru the engines. One tip I got here on LS was to start everything once a month and let them run until warm...makes starting them in spring much easier

FOURTEEN LawnSite Member

Stabil is CHEAP insurance!! I have a FasTrac 52/20, a Power King garden tractor, a PT-425 Power Trac, an ATC70 ATV, a YFM80 ATV, a 200X ATV, a250X ATV, a 2000W generator, a Weed Eater, and an Echo chainsaw. Sometimes I use one daily, and sometimes not use one for many months.

My generator has only been used twice in the last 3 years, but I test start it a couple times a year. It has always started with one pull!

Therefore, for the last 40+ years, ALL the gasoline I buy gets 2 ounces of Stabil per 5 gallon can! If I burn it right away - so what!! If its been sitting around for a year - so what!! Quick starts, smooth runs, no problems, and no trying to decide to use it or not!!!!
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Yea, I say fill your tanks with gas abd stabil. That would be better than letting the tanks and carb sit empty for the rest of the winter.

OSDOTF LawnSite Member

During the winter months, I stabilize my fuel and also keep a battery tender on my equipment.

Honda sells the little Deltran 800 mA waterproof charger which you can leave hooked up all winter (Honda list $38.65, available elsewhere). LED's tell you what's happening (if you even care). The charger comes with conventional alligator clips which can be removed, leaving a quick-connect plug that can be connected to a pigtail (included) that permanently attaches to your battery. This allows you to hook up the charger without directly accessing the battery. Additional pigtails (Honda pn 41670-HPE-000) are available separately so one charger can be rotated quickly throughout the winter to the batteries of your cars, trucks, tractors, mowers, motorcycles, boats, etc.

A larger Deltran (1.2 A) is also available. Either charger will pay for itself quickly in extended battery life.