To Start

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by charlieth, Aug 15, 2002.

1. charlieth

charlieth LawnSite Member

I'm new and I am trying to figure out what equipment i need to start. I have a truck and around 3,000 dollars to start. What in your opinion is the most important equipment to buy. Thanks for any help.

2. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Charlieth :
    your gunna get a ton of different answers here it all depends on how many lawns you plan on mowing.
    i myself when i started out i bought a used 36" WB and some ramps so i could drive mower up into the back fo my truck . also a new trimmer and a used backpack blower. later on i got a trailer when i could aford it.
    a good place to start looking for equipment is the paper this fall and your local dealers and pawn shops always have some decent used stuff

3. TALLEY-HOE

TALLEY-HOE Guest

i suggest you try to buy some new equipment in the mid price range. don't go overboard on big items. by doing that you have somekind of warranty. just starting & having equipment breakdowns do not go together!!!!!

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I started with far less than 3k worth of equipment. I know I'm gonna catch flak from others for this list but until you're sure you want to cut grass I wouldn't spend any more than the minimum on equipment. All fo the stuff on my list can be resold for almost as much as you pay for it whether you decide to keep cutting grass or not.

1: Used 4X6 or 4X8 trailer. 200 to 400.
    2: Used riding tractor. 250 to 500.
    3: New straight shaft Homelite trimmer. 125.
    4: New cheapy Homelite handheld blower. 85.
    5: Liability insurance. 500

Now take some of the rest of the money and get some flyers printed up and pass them out. Then as your business increases you can sell off the less than commercial equipment you purchased now and buy better stuff or you can sell everything for little loss if you decide cutting grass isn't for you.

P.S. This is the same equipment list a lot of people here at Lawnsite started with including me.

5. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Actually Mr. Martin, sound advise. I don't disagree, would just get a 5' wide trailer rather than a 4' wide trailer. Later this fall there will be lots of package deals: trailer, mower, handheld 2 cycle equipment, etc. from people that are getting out of the business because they didn't make enough money or discovered they didn't like the business. Watch the want ads and the auto trader type publications that include equipment. JD

6. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

dont forget, ya gotta have a customer

7. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Reserve some of that cash to have to spend. Don't shoot the whole $3k on equipment. In the past you might have had to buy books and different things to learn about the business....but now that there are sites like LawnSite.com - saves a lot of money, both upfront and in regard to making costly mistakes. Learn as much as you can here, market your company, and do what you can to have as much of a professional appearance as possible on your budget. Best of Luck!

8. Art Stubbs handy 58

Art Stubbs handy 58 LawnSite Member

I agree to buy mid price NEW,(warranty) also get out as many prospect flyers, letters, postcards you can, also I would like to recommend looking at the directmail templets from Mr. Adams.
    They will be very helpful to you, only $29.00 never know how many customers you might get for that price.....

Good luck, and keep your aggressive shoes on all day.......

:D

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Don't spend all of your money. Stuff happens. Keep $2,000-$3,000 or more for a reserve. When I had to replace the engine on one of my mowers, it was a real wakeup call. Keep some extra money in the bank. As for equipment, don't buy real expensive stuff until you've got your customer base. Just go buy some cheap stuff that will get you through until you have enough accounts to justify the cost of commercial equipment. It's really expensive stuff. I'm making the full commercial transition right now. Looking at buying accounts, new mower, and expanding. Make sure you research everything you do and think ahead at what you're buying and spending money one. It'll bite you right in the @$$ if you don't. Good luck!

10. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Heres a setup for here.
    toro 21 two cycle sp bbc $1000
    stihl br420c $400
    stihl fs85 $300
    stihl hs 45 hedgetrimmer $260
    barrels rake shovel broom tarps signs wood to build up sides of truck for grass. there goes about $3k but its a good start.

Many orientals use this setup they work 6days a week 12hrs a day.