1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

To stripe or not to stripe? That is the question....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, May 2, 2002.

1. Yes, I like the look of stripes and I mow them

43 vote(s)
  2. No, I don't like stripes and don't mow them

2 vote(s)
  3. Most of my customers like them

19 vote(s)
  4. Most of my customers do not like them

1 vote(s)
  5. Most of my customers do not care; just want it cut

17 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

How many of you guys mow stripes and how many mow w/o them?
    Do the majority of your customers like them or not or do not even care?
  2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Come on guys, you can do better than that ;)

I made it multiple choice so you can show what you like and what majority of customers like.
  3. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I stripe. With a Walker stripes happen. And if a customer didn't like them, I would tell them to call some body else, because I can't help it. 21" WB don't as much, but I love the look of the Walker stripes, as soon as grass gets to growing good, I will try posting a pic or two.
  4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

my customers like it, i think it makes it look professional. and yes even with my 22'' mower i can stripe, im gonna wait one more cut or two then i will take some pics and post.
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

one thing to consider is if some of your customers dont like the stripe ,leave off the stripe kit. then u can go both ways.
  6. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

Most of my customers just want it to look nice, stripes are a bonus.
  7. Spanky

Spanky LawnSite Member

I have to agree with Brickman, although I use a Bob-Cat. I know I have some pretty good stripes when my customers neighbors ask, "How do you do that?"

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

I always stripe as a basic practice. Every once in a while, I do double stripes. 2 border passes and then 2 passes alongside each other thus creating 88" stripes instead of lots of 44" ones. I have this one 20,000 sq. ft lawn and was bored one day. It was tall and needed a double cut. There was a round bed in the back, so I started there making circular stripes fanning out to the street. Then, I did the same in reverse. I was mildly amused at my new creation but the customer told me the following week that all the neighbors noticed it- and loved it! Go figure.
  9. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

Can someone help me out here? When I mow every lawn I usually do two clockwise trips around the outside of the yard so I dont get grass in the mulch then I go back and forth automatically creating stripes. I dont understand what other way is there to do it that doesnt create stripes? Doesnt stripes just automatically happen. One more thing, what is a stripe kit? I seen someone posted something about it and I never heard of it. Thanks

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Matthew, do you think you could post some pics of the circular stripes? I don't have any areas where this would apply (not yet anyway) but i'm always looking for an adventure LOL. If you go to www.simplicitymfg.com and click on lawn striping there are some pics of something kinda like what i think you're talking about.. kinda neat. I want to do something different and noticeable, but all these rectangular areas don't leave many options and if you go zig zag it doesn't always work right and it makes you look like you can't go straight! AAARRGGG!
    Anyhow, I just wanna see this..
    thanks LOL