1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

To stripe or not to stripe

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJStrain, Oct 11, 2002.

To stripe or not to stripe.

1. I prefer striping and so do my customers.

10 vote(s)
  2. I prefer the au natural look.

7 vote(s)
  3. I never bothered to ask, I just stripe.

27 vote(s)
  4. I only stripe if the customer asks.

3 vote(s)
  1. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

I'm beginning to wonder what all the fuss is about. Stripe stripe stripe. I was as anal as the rest of you about striping. But I recently stopped striping my own yard and to tell you the truth I like it better than the striping I've always put so much emphasis on in the past. Just beautiful, thick lush green. Do you think this striping mania is something we LCO's started and now can't stop? Or is this what the customer really prefers? Do you give them a choice?
  2. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Uhm, I got a question ... perhaps a silly one, but a question just the same.
    If you are using a commercial , or any type, machine to cut a lawn ... how do you achieve the "natural" look? Stop mowing and invest in a few goats???
  3. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

If you are using a commercial machine with a pro-slide, do you have a choice???????????

Is there an "Anti-stripping" kit I should buy so I can stop striping????????????????

Looks like Exmark has MANY add-ons to build... The roller and the Anti-Roller. <G>

4. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

My wife hates the stripes I put in our own yard. She prefers the natural look. So if someone can tell my how not to stripe with a Lazer Z please tell me. During me and my better halfs last discussion on the matter, I told her if she don't want the stripes she has to get someone to cut it because I didn't know how not to stripe.
  5. wmsland

wmsland LawnSite Member
    from NE OHIO

How not to stripe, cut it all going in one direction. Kind of a pain but you end up with no stripes.
  6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I posted this on a different thread awhile ago

"I don't think I could mow without leaving some sort of stripe. For me I don't set out to "stripe" a lawn but to mow it in a Quality way.

The stripes are a nice side effect. I always mow the whole property (or as much as possible) in the same dirrection. I change dirrection each week trying toi get 3 or 4 weeks before I go that way again. I outline 2 or 3 tiems with my 36" at the start of the yard."

I think part of the striping look comes from mowing in straight lines and taking equal swathes each pass.

for me its just the most efficiant way.
    I hat seeing a lawn cut in circles , Just go around and around and around.:dizzy: :dizzy:
    And even that leaves two big wide stripes.

7. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

I mow my lawns, in 4 different diffections, if its easy to do. It keeps it looking more natual, & reduces ruts. I will also change the path that I mow in, by a half a mower length to reduce ruts. What I understand is you guys mow in the same dirrection every week to get stripes?
  8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

So you make a swath, turn off blades, drive back to other end, line up for next swath, turn on blades, mow, repeat, repeat....:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Not me, thats like double cutting, but not actually double cutting:rolleyes:
  9. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Ryan Lightning on this one. I mow al of my accounts front and back in 4 directions. I usually never srtipe the same way twice. And after a while it leaves like a permanent stripe. anyways, if you don't stripe, that takes all the fun out of trying to outdue the competitors stripes. JMHO ;) Peace
  10. Clewsew

Clewsew LawnSite Member

No, mow in a square as opposed to going to the end of the row and doing a 180 and then back the way you came. You make 90 degree turns and for every side of the square your discarge(or where your discharge would be if you are not mulching) will be pointing the same way for each pass. I believe that it what he meant, right Wmsland?