To Swing or Not to Swing???

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Aug 7, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Went out on a repair order today on a broken sprinkler. Thank goodness this was only a small system that was contracted out to our local Rainrape company. :dizzy:

Sequoia Swing Joint Replacement IV-01.jpg

Sequoia Swing Joint Replacement IV-02.jpg

Sequoia Swing Joint Replacement IV-03.jpg

Sequoia Swing Joint Replacement IV-04.jpg

Sequoia Swing Joint Replacement IV-05.jpg

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Seen that a lot Hayes...its pretty sad.

I also see a lot of broken tee's from the nipple shoving through the tee as the head gets driven on.

3. PurpHaze

Fortunately the tee was about a foot back. Still not enough room for a normal ST 90 turned sideways at the end of the 3/4" lateral to start the swing joint. Glued a new ST 90 upright, added the extra Marlex 90 and then was able to swing it where I wanted it.

4. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

Those ones that were chopped off actually didn't look too high to me. I would have concluded that the grade was too low judging by the grade of the concrete. The sprinkler looked to be right where it should have been if they would have graded it properly. Either way the head was sticking up into the mower path.

So, do you guys always use a flex joint and never use those cutoff risers? I switched to using them on all installs because I found that they made the guys more efficient when setting to final grade and/or borders. I never really thought of them as being a better quality - especially in non-traffic areas. I have my daughter build them by the hundreds and pay her $.50 a piece for them and I still save a ton over buying them pre-assembled.

5. PurpHaze

Very observant Vern. The top of the sprinkler was at sidewalk height but the actual grade was never brought up. This still makes the sprinkler too high though.

We use this particular method of swing joints and NEVER use cutoff risers. Others here use different methods of swing joints that pretty much accomplish the same thing.

6. speedbump

speedbump LawnSite Member

Hey Purp,

I worked for a gulf Coarse irrigation company years ago. (We won't go into how many years). We built swing joints by the hundreds. I can't remember just how they worked now. Is there a flexible pipe used in them or do you not glue the joints or what. I have to know, it's killing me.

I can give you a hint on the time frame, we were using Toro heads with the little 1/8" tubing running all over the place with these cute little vertical stations all over the Golf Coarse that had a million tubes inside. Somehow these tubes made the heads popup, with a pressure differential. It's just been too long.

bob...

7. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

To Swing or Not to Swing??? .....been tryin to talk the wife into it for years.....no luck:nono:

8. PurpHaze

In our particular swing joints the only thing that is glued is the white slip x thread 90 el which is glued onto the lateral line. Everything else then will turn with the aid of the Marlex 90s which are neither glued nor taped. The Marlex is similar to PE in feel and meshes without teflon tape.

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I use the exact same swing joint when working with 1" inlet heads (I-25 etc), but we use swing pipe on the smaller stuff.

10. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

We used to use flexible pipe (Funny Pipe) in place of swings, but I found that when I added employees they were getting too many of the pipes kinked and the rework got too expensive. I never remember kinking a single one, but I sure had a lot of employees who figured out how to. That's why I've switched to the swing joints.