To the Bradley haters...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Cleanmaxx Brian, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Cleanmaxx Brian

Cleanmaxx Brian LawnSite Member

Well on this board, if you own a Bradley or any machine that is not big money, you will get lots of negative replies. But after mowing my lawn today whith my Bradley, I must say that I am 110% happy with my purchase!!! Not only did I get some great comments from the neighbors, but they wanted me to do their lawn! (Not going to happen as I am already too busy with other things) This machine is PERFECT for me...well maybe a bit over-kill but that is fine with me!

This is a shot of the biggest section of my lawn. My Bradley will be mowing it once a week or so... :p
    [​IMG]

And the machine that did it!
    [​IMG]

To the haters: I know $700-$1000 would have gotten a better machine...but I do not need anything more than this!!! :cool2:

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'm glad to hear your happy with the machine. It does look like a pretty good mower and the cut looks nice but personally I wouldn't buy one. :)

3. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

So far i have changed drive belts the deck belt and break pads from normal wear. I have beat the heck out of it and have had absolutly no problems with it. Since you are using as a homeowner it should last a long time. Just make sure to maintain it prperly.

4. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

:rolleyes: congrats on your new purchase.looks like it did a great job

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

generally cut quality is not the reason for the wise cracks.. it's the quality of the parts.......
    i know nothing about the bradley's so I am in no way cracking on them.. but usually the jabs are not about the cut quality.

I've seen a murray give an excellent cut.

6. Cleanmaxx Brian

it's the quality of the parts.......

I have really checked over this machine! (Remember I am a home owner and not a professional so I have time to really inspect!) The parts are all very, VERY heavy duty looking. (Extra thick steel and generally over built) I am having a hard time telling what machine they copied...sometimes the part looks exactly like an Xmark while other times it looks like a Scag. Either way, I have compleate faith in it build quality...and to be honest, this mower IS very basic! The design itself is already proven many times over. So with that said, maybe the steel is not the same grade as an Xmark or a Scag....and that is where I would guess the corners were cut. Time will tell from some of the professional users with a Bradley on how well they hold up. Basically a year in the field for you guys is 10 years for me!

Here is something else to think about...during my detailed inspection I started to think...subtract the cost of the engine(in my case about $400), and what is left is the mower itself. (I paid $1300 so subtract $400 and that make the mower $900) I really think the mower itself was "worth" the $900 price without the engine. BUT NOT MORE! A belt drive walk behind mower is really a pretty simple machine! $900 should cover the cost!!! To think that a "name brand" machine would be an additional $700-$1000 more is insane! Just for a higher grade steel?!?!? Are your machines made out of titanium?

Just thinking out loud and NOT ragging on anyone. Just thoughts....

7. Lawn Wolf

Lawn Wolf LawnSite Member
    from 77090

Brian is that a 32" , how did you get it to stripe so well. For a homeowner you did a proffessional job. Congrats...

8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

That does look nice, especially for not having a stripe kit on it. From what I have seen, I would not hesitate to purchase one.

9. Cleanmaxx Brian

Lawn Wolf, yes it is a 32" machine. BONE STOCK! Last week was my first ever use with a machine like this (before I had a Scott's 21 high wheel self propelled) and I mowed front to back. Today when I mowed, I did it at the angle. No special tricks...as I don't know any ;) I am just a newbie :cool:

proenterprises, and everybody else, thanks for the nice words! My wife can't believe how nice our yard looks! She has mentioned it 3 times today!!! It makes it all worth it! :cool2:

On another note, I spoke to my dealer to tell him how happy I was and he just laughed. He said "I told ya so!" He also went on to say that he has sold over 25 of this very model/size last year and NONE has come back with something broken (He sells a ton of blades for these machines though) other than normal wear and tear from the Pro's. He also said that the Pro's are really hard on them...like engaging the blades really fast at full throttle and general poor maintenance. He ordered all Bradley had in their inventory with the Kohler engines...he doesn't want to run out of them again this year!

To anybody who lives on Long Island NY and is thinking of a Bradley, contact me for my dealer...he has been great.

10. cutrite

cutrite LawnSite Member

Keep up the good work. Nothing better then having the wife approve.I love my 48" BRADLEY.