To the new guys. RAISE YOUR PRICES!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Grits, Jun 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have recently noticed a LOT of you guys saying you charge $20 - $30 per yard (1/4 acre). This is unbelievable!!!! Why is the pricing for lawn services going DOWN???!!! The price for everything else is going up and you guys are charging LESS. Where is the logic in this? Are you scared that you might not get customers or lose the ones you have? Raise your prices. You must not find value in your own work.....and if you don't, no one will.
    The dollar per minute rule is gone, by the way. That was the pricing 10 or more years ago and hasn't seemed to have changed. If you are not getting at least $100 per hour, you are not charging enough. There are many costs with running a biz. But you should know this. Don't be scared to make a profit. You work our azz off, you should have some money in your bank account. Bottom line...you have to raise your prices.

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Not to disagree, because I dont, but please show me how some areas can afford 100 bucks or more an hour?? I am in the higher price range hourly, not at 100. It really depends on what your market can support. Some can support 80-90 or more an hour, some can support 30. It all is on the economy of the area

3. Lakeside Lawn

Lakeside Lawn LawnSite Member

Grits am I to assume you are no longer interested in doing Logo's?
    I messaged you several weeks ago....but have heard nothing. Thats fine if your not...but it would be nice to know one way or the other.

4. Itzkcatz

Itzkcatz LawnSite Member
    from CT

Well alot of these guys are just running under the table and doing it after work for extra money. they really don't care if they are killing the market for everyone else. thank god my area is upperclass and don't want a 84 f150 with a 48 bobcat belt coming to there house

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty simple.....competition has run the prices down in our area. The Justmowit guys advertise under $30 and if you want to play in the game you got to match or get out of their area. We aren't going to let them drive us out.

6. Lakeside Lawn

What is wrong with having a 48 bobcat belt? If its not falling apart...and does the job?

7. Grits

from Florida

I posted a week or 2 ago that I was just too busy to do them right now. Sorry for any confusion. Don't lowball.

8. Grits

from Florida

If a market can only support $30 per hour for lawn maintenance, then I would not do lawn maintenance in that market.
    I guess I am lucky to be in an area to be able to make what I make.

9. Grits

from Florida

The Justmowit guys target postage stamps, don't they? If so, let them have them and concentrate on the bigger yards. Or offer something that they don't do.

10. Lakeside Lawn

Oh okay...thats fine...just hadent heard anything from you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.