To those guys who have a floating deck W.B.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J&R Landscaping, Jun 5, 2006.

1. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

To all of you who have a floating deck wb, how many times do you change the deck height? I'm in the market for a 52" wb and have decided on a hydro but I can't decide if it is going to be worth it for me to get a fixed deck mower or a floating deck mower.

I was running a bobcat 52" hydro walkbehind last year and it was a fixed deck machine. I would have changed the deck height maybe 5 or 6 times the whole season.

Just curious as to what others do...

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

to me its not about changing the height its about not sclaping
  3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't have a WB, but myu rider w/ floating deck is great, i haven't had to change height yet. but a lot of the lawns here are so bumpy that a floating deck is needed.
  4. opher

opher LawnSite Member

I have a new EX-MARK TT 48" ,Love it , floating deck is the way to go. I change the height 1 time per week , all my lawns are at 3" , but one is at 2.5
    It only takes about 30 sec. to change.

Good luck
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the opinions! Keep em comming!!!
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Rule: changing the deck height is always a royal pain.
  7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Only when the deck is FIXED. Floating decks scalp less, and are easier to change the cutting height. I have 3 good customers now that want their grass cut shorter than everyone else (despite my attempt to persuade them otherwise) and if I had a fixed deck, where changing height is such a b!tch, those would be 3 customers that I would not have. Floating decks are well worth the extra money to me.
  8. raschmid07

raschmid07 LawnSite Member

I change mine on an average of every four yards. Around here in East Tennessee people have different types of fescues that grow at different rates. I love my floating deck.
  9. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Even if you only change cutting height a couple times a year, the floating deck is the deck to have.

You can adjust cut height at the front wheel on a fixed deck, but you won't get the right pitch unless you adjust the back too, normally a real pain.

I heard my floating deck all day today -- rattles. Happens each time you hit a high spot, let's you know the deck is working! You'll get a smoother cut with a floating deck, and this is coming from someone who just one year ago said they were just a way to get more money per mower. After trading in my new fixed deck I bought last year on a floater, I'll stick with the floating deck from now on!
  10. hamsey

hamsey LawnSite Member
    from CT

I have a TTHP and change heights a couple of times a week depending on conditions. Takes all of 30 seconds. I was going to get a fixed deck glad I got the floater.