1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

To those of you who work 100 hrs per week...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by andyslawncare, Apr 29, 2010.

1. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I've been going strong with over 60 hrs per week in the field and at least another 40 hrs per week in the office since March.

The money is great, but...
    DO any of you who work these hours have a wife, kids, go to school full time, or are you engaged?

I'm just looking for some advice on how you manage your time to spend with your significant other, but still get all of your work done...

I just hired a new landscape designer to take care of all of the plans for plants, but I'm still stuck bidding on everything else; and we offer a lot of services! I don't have the time to train someone else how to bid jobs now either...

I don't want to down size my services, because the growth rate is looking good for expansion of another truck or two in 1-2 years; but for now....???

Any advice for a growing service is appreciated. I need some new ways to deal with all of the stress...

2. esnipe8

esnipe8 LawnSite Senior Member

Start at 6, get home at 5, play with my daughter till 7, office work/designs/bids/scheduling, till 9, go to bed! Wife understands, and I bought her a 47" flat screen!
    I also am firm on not taking calls after 4:30-5:00 during the week, and no calls and minimal work on Saturdays. Defiantly no work on Sunday. Most customers are family people and understand the importance of family time on the weekends.

3. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

100 hrs week? I say BS. That's 14 hrs/day 7 days a week.
    Personally, I do 50-60/week. Anything over that will just have to wait till I get to it. My kids are growing fast, I don't want to miss it.

4. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't put in 100/wk but I put 40 in at the regualer job, am a full time student, and in the Army Reserve. All that besides my landscape business. Personally I have a Girlfriend and she's my sectetary, answers the phone and puts a schedule together for me. But no kids helps as well. Try not to work on Sundays to much unless I'm in the office or working on a truck or something.

5. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I did that 2 years ago and like you the money was great. 5:30am-8pm 6 days labor, 8-9:30 office, 930-10 shower etc. Sunday was 6am-8pm doing everything from repairs to design to purchasing. I made a bunch of money, but only because I was working for 2. It taught me that having a deadbeat bunch of employees is worthless, but having good ones is priceless. I now work half as much, make only a little less, and have my health and sanity. Much better!

6. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

I know Andy and I believe he works that much.

He needs a Hobby.:)

7. DJJS

DJJS LawnSite Senior Member

I dont work 100 hrs a week regularly but in the spring when we're real busy with cleanups, applications, estimates for new clients etc I probably am pretty close to it, the rest of the time though I work like 60-70 hours a week give or take, like someone else mentioned, great employees make a huge difference, I used to have friends working with me, they were useless except for one who still works with me, the others were terrible though and no longer are with me, I hired another full time guy and a part time guy and they've made a huge difference in my work load. I'm engaged and neither myself or my fiance have any complaints about my hours, she answers phones for me and helps out with some of the office stuff, even helps with my design work sometimes

8. Caterkillar

Caterkillar LawnSite Senior Member

What is your role in your company? Do you run a crew? Do you just manage and give estimates? How many crews do you have?

I think we have to remember anything we can do... someone else can do just as well. Delegating your workload and remaining profitable is the key to success. It is possible, we just have to figure it out and make it happen.

9. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

im in the same boat.. i do all the estimating/sales for my company as well as overseeing the crews. i was doing about 14 hours a day and kept telling myself it will slow down, but it never did.. i try getting up an extra hour before to get at my paperwork done, then are around lunch hop on my laptop, knock out a few bids and thats it for the computer till later tonight. after dinner when i get while watching tv with my wife i crank out another few estitmates... it sucks, but that i dont do jack in teh winter to i just keep pushing...

10. Caterkillar

Caterkillar LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds very similar! I am debating hiring a manager to ease the burden, but it sure is hard to let go of 40-50k. I am thinking of hiring a manager capable of irrigation repairs to offset the cost. Defining the duties and pay scale for the manager is where I am stuck now.
    Posted via Mobile Device