To those that dont mind my post got another question for ya!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, Mar 6, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of you have a dump trailer and what do you think of them? Are they worth it or would a small dump truck make more sense? I dont really want another truck just yet with insurance and all but im thinking a dump of some kind might be nice.
    I mean i havent even started yet but have found a few times where a dump trailer would of came in handy and will with the big mulch jobs i have coming up.Im sure its something id use over and over again especially with clean ups and such.So whats your opinion on the dump trailers?

2. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a dump trailer and to me its worth its weight in gold.i picked it up at the auction a couple years back for a couple grand.I needed it because i do alot of mulching,hauling &clean outs at my apt.complexes that i maintain

3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Bri-Mar dump trailer and it is incredible. I pity guys who double handle material and have to hand-unload soil, debris, etc.... it's not efficient.

Scooping mulch out of it is great also... My trailer is heavy- make sure you have a truck that can handle it.

4. Weekes

Weekes LawnSite Member

Drop trailer would be great, I myself want one pretty bad.

That said, do you NEED it. I've seen guys that have been in the business longer than me go under due to a bit of over spending and getting every little "make my job easier tool". Not that I know your spending limit, I just know that in any business growing slow and steady is the way to go.

For example I buy tools as I need them for a job and I can see how it will turn profitable fast. Rent a dump trailer till you get to the point that purchasing one become part of the business' natural growth. IMO a dump trailer is a conveniences not worth my $ at this point. You may be in a different situation, but I assume with you just starting it would be more of a luxury.

I guess I am one who does not understand why a brand new to the business guy starts asking which Z should I get before he even has one lawn. I am not saying you have done this, I just use this as an example to explain my point.

5. bigw

would my 2004 F250 Super duty with the 5.4 triton motor and 4:10 gears be enough to pull one?

6. bigw

I agree with you and i probably will rent as needed for now {unless i find a great steal on a used one} but im sure down the road i will want to have my own...i hate renting anything!

7. enviouslawns

enviouslawns LawnSite Member

IMO i would at least get a dump trailer, this is my second year and after all the mulch and landscaping we did last year i figured it was better off just to get a dump, and then if you get busy during snow season all you have to do is buy another plow and you can cover the cost of a new truck on one job i went and priced some out and they were about 600 a monthn and 200 for insurance. best of luck

8. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Couldnt quite understand what envious was sayin.

I have a dump trailer and love it. At times I wish I had a dump truck, b/c the trailer likes to tear up turf if you turn it sharp on lawns, I am limited on who I have haul mulch/ topsoil/ stone with it, Once in a while I like to have my dad run loads of mulch, but he's very sketchy on backing up a trailer into tight places.
    A dump truck will let you get into tighter places, generally, as well as not do so much damage to turf if it is a dually. (my observations)
    On the other hand, it is nice to be able to unhook from the trailer, and still use my truck if I need to go to lunch or run parts half way through a job.
    I have also rented my trailer to folks who need to clean out a basement, or tear off a roof. Rent the trailer for XX dollars per day plus dump fees, they fill it up, I hook on and haul to the dump.
    Hope it helps.
    Matt.

9. enviouslawns

enviouslawns LawnSite Member

What i mean is a dump trailer is not worth it, but thats my opinion. and you can pay the bill on a dump truck with profits on one job, and make quick money delivering for homeowners , you can put it to work all year if you add a plow.

10. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member