To those that have leaf boxes.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Dec 23, 2002.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I am in the market for a truck with a hoist. I am currently looking for an older grain truck. To those that have leaf boxes, what is the length of your beds and would you go longer? I have came across some that are 12 foot and some that are 16 and even some that are 20 fooot. I am just trying to find out if you would do anything different as far as getting a longer truck.

Thanks
    MATT

2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Just a thought.
    I dont' know how far they typically thro leaves but make sure your loader can reach to the front of your truck
    Eric

3. DBLC

DBLC LawnSite Member
    from AR

My bed is an 18 footer! However, have a ten foot box mounted on there. My vac has plenty of push so next yr. I am going to take advantage of the entire bed. The vac will push them to the front! Hope this helps.

4. walker-talker

from Midwest

I was thinking of using a 16hp Billy Goat, which I have heard that those have no problems throwing the materail 18ft, but if anyone would like to elaborate or correct me on this.....feel free.

MATT

5. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I just checked my Lesco 16hp, got an average of 30 feet throwing distance.

6. walker-talker

from Midwest

Thanks
    MATT

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Heres a pic of my box. its a 10 foot trailer. I think for a 16hp, you got for at least a 20 ft box or even a little more. It shoots the material straight to the front of my box, and from where i see it makes contact, it hasnt lost any height, indicating the 16hp could throw the material a good 16 or 20 ft or even more.

8. walker-talker

from Midwest

Are you happy with a 10ft box, or if you had to do it all over again, would you have purchased something bigger?

MATT

9. Angelo

Angelo LawnSite Member

Well the 20' in theory makes the most sense, but if you are going to use that truck to haul around a trailer in the summer that turns out to be a long vehicle. I guess what I am saying is if you have the need for that truck besides leaves than a 20' sounds good. In my town the largest trucks they use for leaves are the mack 12-14' dump trucks. If you have the money to have this truck and another one to pull around a trailer in the summer with that would be ideal. Then you can also sell mulch/firewood/christmas trees/ or anything else you can deliver with a 20'. Alot of the guys I see with 20' trucks have a pickup following them with the leaf vac and lawn equipment.

10. walker-talker

from Midwest

Another idea I had, but have not checked the prices of, and that was getting a roll off dumpster truck. I would use it in the spring and fall and would lease out the dumpster in the summer and winter (or whenever I was not using it). I priced the charge for renting out one a few years ago and it was something around $300 for a few days or week. It was just an idea I was considering, but I need to do some more searching.

MATT