to those that pull a 6 foot wide or more...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by snapper, Oct 20, 2006.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

trailer, does the trailer hanging out farther than the truck bother you? like i have a 6.5 foot wide trailer, which makes it a shade more than eight foot wide. I have a harder time keeping it in the middle of the lane. And then back roads which are a little narrower, i keep fearing running the trailer wheel off the road and tearing sumethin up or hitting sumthin. Is this just sumthin you get use to? Does anybody else have these problems? Any body ever hit sumthin with the trailer cause it hangs over? I guess once i pull it some more i will get more comfortable with it. i am considering going back to a five foot wide trailer,since about all i haul is one walk-behind, but more importantly, they follow the truck better.. So any tips or stories???

later!! chris

2. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

You'll get used to it.

3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Are you using a full size truck? My trailer is a FULL 8.5 feet wide outside, but you really get used to it. Think of semi truck drivers and bus drivers ect. that drive 8.5 foot wide rigs everyday. Realize that they travel the same roads you travel. Hug the right side, make sure you have GOOD mirrors and go!

4. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

keep an eye on it dont jerk it around and dont worry about being perfect theres little vw's that cant stay in between the lines

5. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure you have a good set of mirrors and keep the truck in the center of your lane.The trailer will follow. Some people watch the mirror too much when they should be focusing on the truck. I drive tractor-trailer and have an 8.5 lawn trailer.

6. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

My trailer is 6.5, making the outside a little over 8 feet. It is kinda awkward at times pulling it with the Ranger, but I am pertty much used to it. On rural blacktops, a lot of times the outside tire sometimes gets off onto the shoulder when passing oncoming vehicles, but i have never had any problems from that. I swear, some of the blacktops here in Northern Reno county, the lanes have GOT to only be 7.5 feet a piece, lol.

7. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

What are them round stick-on mirrors called, the convex? I have one on each mirror, they are the bigger ones, and I can see just about anything in them. You can see a bit more ahead of the trailer and better-predict where you need to be on the road.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Some guys just can understand as they have never been on these southern country backroads.

I had a factory 6.5 x 16 trailer that I had the same issues with. It had a really wide track width. Those axles could have facilitated a much wider deck than 6.5 ft.

I was droping it off the shoulder more than I wanted and crossing the yellow line more than I wanted too. Heck, on some of these roads both tires were on the painted lines going down the road.

I got fed up with it pretty quick. I ended up trading it for a 6 x 10 single axle. It's a heck of a lot narrower than 6" less than the other one. I was unhappy with the loss of trailer space. But it was the only one with good wood floors, so....

Much happer with it in this respect though.

9. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

The cure to this problem is just get a widere truck LOL really it is not a problem to me as we use either a f250 or a F350 and the normal trailer that goes behind the F350 it is 102" wide so you get use to pulling it

10. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

The only time that my butthole tightens up is when I go through a train track underpass. If you don't know what these are, I'll let ya know. In this part of the south there are railroads that go over another road. There is a single tunnel that you drive through for each lane. Each one of these lanes have a guard rail on each side- they are VERY tight! I started out having to pull the seat cushion out from my butt cheeks, but know it is no problem- you will get used to it.