To those who have opened up the discharge...

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Keith, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Pj sent me the instruction for this a year ago. I was going to do it, but never got around to it. I want to do it before it starts raining and the grass really takes off here this year (if that ever happens.) My question is this. I see in the instructions it says you may need to weld the top plate. I am not sure I follow this. Is this something that usually needs to be done? Or not usually? I don't have a welder. I have about everything else, but the shop I rent does not allow it, so it will be a bit of a problem. I'd like to see some pics of what actually needs to be done here.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

There is a welded area you are cutting off when you open the discharge up, the weld we tell you make is to keep the steel from bending away from the top plate of the deck.
    You should be able to have your dealer do this quickly for you.

3. Keith

So every deck will need this? I was not sure if it meant some would, some wouldn't. I had mentioned doing this at my dealer months back and the counter guy looked at me like I was speaking in a different language. I mentioned it again several months later and got the same reaction. I doubt seriously that I will take it there to have it done. The traffic mess between me and them, with the road construction over that way, keeps me from going over there too often anyway. I have not taken the trailer over that way since August 03.

We have several local welding shops that could do it, but the couple I talked to wanted me to take the deck off and bring it to them. This is precisely why I haven't done this yet. I mean other than getting the measurements for the cut right in the instructions that I have, and the welding part, there isn't really anything the dealer is going to do that is special is there? What, do they have a template or something to make this a whole lot easier?

I'm not to come off as a cheap A-hole here :laugh: I buy mowers from dealers, but they rarely ever go back. If they were right down the road, and I could drop it off and pick it up the next day...and they had a clue what I was talking about, it would be a different story.

4. cbelawn

cbelawn LawnSite Member

I cut mine out last year. I used a cutoff blade in a air zip tool (muffler cut off tool) The weld is very small that hustler wants you to make, I believe 1" would do it. I would think if you pulled into a welding shop they would do it fast a cheep. Lunch money maybe. peace

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

It needs to be done, and it is a very quick weld.
    As cbelawn stated, any weld shop should be able to do it quickly and easily.

Pj

6. Keith

I took a look at it last night and saw exactly where it is going to be cut and where it needs to be welded. There would only be roughly 1/2" of weld left when cut. I have the cutoff tool, I just need to get it welded first. I'll take it to a shop on Monday and see if I can get anyone to just do it.

One more observation. The strip of thick metal around the bottom edge of the deck will be cut too. It looks to me like it will need to be welded as well.

Picture 029f.jpg

7. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

If you cut the bar past the weld, it will need to be re-welded also.

Pj

8. TonyMeister

TonyMeister LawnSite Member

Why are you guys doing this to your decks? I just got a Super Z about a month ago. Is this something that I need to do too? Thanks...

9. Keith

Just so I know I am looking at it right, this is the correct measurement, and correct location to measure from for a 60" right?

Picture 029g.jpg

10. gps_jetskier

gps_jetskier LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of OCDC are you using? I've been thinking about getting one this year.

Thanks,
    gps_jetskier