To those who run 2 crews

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by davis45, Jan 14, 2008.

1. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

How many yards per week is your second crew getting done? Ive been throwing around the thought of running a route by myself and getting another crew going to opposite direction. I'm just curious how many yards your second crew can finish up and how many your business gets done in total? Most yards around here are 1/4 to 1/2 acre. I've got the idea in my head, but I'm wanting to see how it compares to reality. Thanks for any input

2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in the process of planning a similar task.
    I think there are too many variables to ask that question on here. What size yards? How tight is your route? How ambitious are your workers? What equipment? ???
    I think you just need to figure out your costs of having that crew running, then figure out how many lawns you and an employee could do, add a little more time to that number (we know the boss always moves a little quicker/ more efficient), then figure if sending a crew to do that route would be profitable or not.
    If the route doesn't look profitable, look to what can be done to improve the profitability, maybe market in the area to tighten up the route, raise prices, incentives for employees to work more efficiently, etc...
    Hope it helps,
    Matt.

3. davis45

Very good points, i have taken those into consideration also. So I guess I'm really just asking how much all you other guy's crews are getting done? See if they are close to my idea at all.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You'll never get a straight answer on that question, here. You have guys that will give you the realistic 12 to 20 (1/2 acre lots) for a 2 man crew, and you get all the cowboys that say they do 100 in a day. (Ok,...that may be extreme, but they DO give extreme numbers....30-40-50:rolleyes:). Sorry to be a cynic, but it is the truth.

5. grassyguy

grassyguy LawnSite Member

I tried two crews a few years ago. I had one truck with two guys doing 12-15 yards per day. They were getting them done in 5 days working 43 hours a week. That was the first year. The next year they ran the same route and began working around 6o hours per week. Everyday a different excuse. Half way through the season I fired them both. I began doing one crew with three guys. It took a little mor time, but I was making more money and had control over the work being done. This year we are going to a 4 man crew. Much more work. If I can do it with one crew it works better for me. The guy I had running that crew was with me for 4 years before he ran a crew of his own. I trusted him and still he screwed me. Make sure you know you can rely on your leader for the long haul. Good luck

6. davis45

Thanks for the replies. I have seen a local LCO that sends ONE guy out in a truck/trailer on a route. Whats your opinions on this? I've been trying to figure it out, if i think money can be made, a ford ranger with one of those lawn care beds sounds nice.

7. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

During peak season, from mid March through late October, I run two separate mowing crews of three men each, responsible for roughly 100 acres each per week.
    My crews run mowers/hand trimmers that are less than two years old - one ton trucks less than 200K mileage.
    I know the routes, I know site sizes and reasonable time frame for completion.
    Bear in mind that my company service area is roughly 50 miles East to West and 45 miles North to South.
    Since the majority of my work is commercial/large residential my examples do not translate well to the cramped environment common to Illinois.
    And yes, I know what I am talking about as I lived there for many years before I was paroled :)
    What I am getting at is you and one helper run one route, allow for no more than 20% increase since you are not there, then budget your time/routes accordingly.
    Bear in mind that employees are not working solely for pay. Lead by example, acknowledge good work and correct poor work and be uniform in your expectations/goals and unless you have complete psychos working for you, your crews will respond.

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

One local guy I know, he has a great system down. He runs one truck and the other truck works in the same area as he is. This works because his route is very tight, he has a couple hundred lawns just in one town.

I'm not sure exactly how he coordinates each day, but it's somewhat of a contest, to see if each crew can outcut the other. For lunch they both meet up and eat together, then head out for the second half of the day.

Since both crews are normally within a mile or so of each other, it's easy for him to deal with breakdowns, someone getting sick, etc. If something happens, it doesn't screw his whole day up.

9. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

When i went from 1-2 crews i did it with 2 guys in 1 truck then when i had 2 many accounts i had 3 guys then that got to big so i hired 1 more guy and bought 2 more mowers and a truck/trailer and thats the way it went my crews do pass one another cause i have 1 large crew that does just large acreage properties and the others do average size properties.

10. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

cutting and running or full service cut and go 2 guys nice route 17 lawns tight route 20 lawns full service may bee 13 lawns a day. i run 4 crews 90% full service with three guys and a nice route we do about 22-27 lawns per crew per day cut 4 days a week incase of rain or break downs and scape the other 2 sometimes three days a week