To tip or not ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Piedmont Lawn, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

Gang I got a question for you, the dealer sent a guy over to pick up my mower Monday to do some warranty work on it. This is the second time he has been over the first time was to drop it off when I bought it last fall. He is the gofer around the shop most of the time hauling mowers around and running errands. Do I tip him? If so how much would be appropriate? The shop is 6 miles from my home so it’s less than a 30 minute round trip, just guessing he is around 19 or 20 and has always been polite.

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If its an individual who seesm to go above and beyond the call of duty -- then yes by all means a $5 tip would be greatly apprecaited Im sure.

The one rule that I remember my grandmother telling me who was a waitress for years after she retired was that people are only required and SHOULD only tip a waiter or waitress if they provide you with service above and beyond the scope of work.

If they just do their job thats what their pay rate is for -- if they make your stay pleasant and enjoying -- thats what the tips for. I suppose you could buy into the NEW standards of doubling the tax if that made you feel better about what to give like they do at Sambos or Dennys.
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i always tip. something, $3, 5, at least something
  4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That would be a very nice thing to do for the young man. It sounds like he has done and good job previously and has been polite.

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

No tips! He's doing his job. He's being paid for his ability by the shop owner. This is a service the dealer offers you (delivery/pickup) and the cost is already factored in your purchases. You tip him once, he'll always expect it. He hasn't done anything that he wasn't hired for. Being polite and doing his job well is what anyone should be doing. That's the problem nowadays, these kids think they should be given special treatment and rewarded for every little thing they do. By treating them this way it just snowballs and all of a sudden you have a whole generation that wants wants wants without any real effort. Oh wait, we have that now. NO TIPS!

You want to do something nice for him, tell his boss he's a good kid, acts like an adult and is responsible. That will go farther than any $5 will. Make the kid feel like an adult, respect him. :)
  6. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Randy.
  7. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

Guys thanks for the TIPS:p

Well I did both, slipped him a 10 spot and told him to have lunch on me one day (he got an ear to ear grin), called his boss and told him what a good job his employee was doing and to let him know I was very satisfied with my mower.

I had thought of that but I don't have a trailer right now, I sold my old one because the mower would not fit on it. So it's was a big help to me. I have to find something soon though !

Later Guys,
  8. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I also agree with Randy. I am a very good tipper at restaurants, barbers etc... it seems to me that tipping has gotten out of control. Everyone wants a tip for doing their job and most of the time they can't even do their job properly.
  9. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

After seeing you don't have a trailer to take the mower in for repair then Tipping would be proper in my opinion, and calling the Big Guy and telling his employee was doing a good job was decent of you.... It sound's like you have a good dealer.

Lou !!
  10. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

You did a nice thing... I often (not always) tip the mechanic at the dealership, especially if he does his job well (finding a potential problem), these guys keep you in business and I get bumped to the top of the 'fix it next' list if he isn't already working on a LCO unit. Spread your bucks wisely and reap the benefits.
    Always let the owner know (good or bad) your opinion on how well his staff preformed their duties.
    Bob R