To use oetiker's or not

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by aimlesssoul, Jul 13, 2007.

1. aimlesssoul

aimlesssoul LawnSite Member

I have read that some people use them, others do not when using the barbed fittings. Is it preference or based on pipe diameter? Thanks

2. lehrjetmx

lehrjetmx LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

We use the oetiker clamps religiously as far as 1 inch poly goes. Funny pipe its just as easy to heat and go. :weightlifter:

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

YES!!! Use them on 3/4" and higher. I usually do on 1/2" drip as well. Never on swing pipe.

4. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

Use the clamps on the 1" and higher pipes. For swing pipe or even drip, no clamps. Double clamps on the valve, single else where.

5. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

6. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Why? I have never seen them blow apart or leak unless the barbed fitting was sliced length wise to to get the funny pipe off.

7. I would hate to dig around a head that head a clamp on the funny pipe...stainless cuts deep and fast....

I have NEVER seen a clamp on a funny fitting....of course I have seen a clamp on a funny fitting that someone used with 1/2 drip pipe...but never with swing pipe....

8. Flow Control

We don't use saddles either. I guess it goes back the the ol saying better safe then sorry or the new saying: why not.

We have seen both leaks and the pipe blown off. Had one customer a couple of years ago where the head kept on blowing off. We realized that the company that installed it used a soft flexible funny pipe and with the high pressure it just kept on blowing it off until we clamped it.

9. Flow Control

You have also never serviced work in my area where you would find about 10% of the companies clamp their funny pipe connections. And the 10%ers are not ones giving stuff away if you know what I mean.